Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I genuinely find myself asking whether they are worth it sometimes, mainly with one of mine who is very challenging. If I am having a particularly bad day with her where her behaviour has been awful I have to wonder if they are worth the stress. I think they ARE obviously worth the stress when you weigh up the good and bad points, but there is still a little part at the back of my mind that thinks "my life would be easier if.......".
I used to feel like that with Cherry-her behaviour meant I would be in tears sometimes on returning from a walk. I had forgotten this until now-she is so much better and a lovely dog and I am so glad I pressed through the difficulties now but I didn't think she would be the dog she is today and I used to think she was a big mistake and got very stressed.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Roxy was 5 years old when I found her. Although she was clean in the house, she was awful on the lead, bin raided, scavenged like crazy, had absolutely no other training, hyper etc. I just knew she had a special sparkle though - and I was not wrong. She is amazing and I cannot imagine life without her.

We discovered her previous owners had used an e-collar on her as they told people I know that she "was out of control and untrainable" in every other way. Eh, no, she wasn't. She just needed love, patience, kindness, understanding and TRAINING, NOT abuse.

She's only small, so not difficult to handle in that respect, but she wasn't the easiest dog to train. I remember being in tears once in the first few weeks - partly because I was a bag of nerves waiting on a possible phonecall from someone wanting her back, partly because she was trying my patience no end.

Would I change things and do I wish I never had her? Absolutely No way, not a chance in the world. Although mad at times (in a good way) she is an absolute dream. She's not the brightest, but I don't care. She's a special girly and just loves everyone and everything (but she's scared of cats!) and has the best character and temperament I could ever want.

The immense pleasure and love I get from that dog knows no bounds and I wouldn't swap her for any other dog in the world.

And yes, she most definitely was and is worth it. My superstar.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Roxy was 5 years old when I found her. Although she was clean in the house, she was awful on the lead, bin raided, scavenged like crazy, had absolutely no other training, hyper etc. I just knew she had a special sparkle though - and I was not wrong. She is amazing and I cannot imagine life without her.

We discovered her previous owners had used an e-collar on her as they told people I know that she "was out of control and untrainable" in every other way. Eh, no, she wasn't. She just needed love, patience, kindness, understanding and TRAINING, NOT abuse.

She's only small, so not difficult to handle in that respect, but she wasn't the easiest dog to train. I remember being in tears once in the first few weeks - partly because I was a bag of nerves waiting on a possible phonecall from someone wanting her back, partly because she was trying my patience no end.

Would I change things and do I wish I never had her? Absolutely No way, not a chance in the world. Although mad at times (in a good way) she is an absolute dream. She's not the brightest, but I don't care. She's a special girly and just loves everyone and everything (but she's scared of cats!) and has the best character and temperament I could ever want.

The immense pleasure and love I get from that dog knows no bounds and I wouldn't swap her for any other dog in the world.

And yes, she most definitely was and is worth it. My superstar.
That's lovely
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Labradork

I have one of those possessed by the devil, grey dogs. She is doing my head in at the moment as she is just tanking off all the time. She did the same thing last spring. Must be all the baby animals about in the forest. She caught a baby rabbit the other day and she was on the lead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is worth all the stress though. She is a mummies girl. I love her so much. (Little sh1t) LOL
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6