Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2005, 05:57 AM

Crying-help!!

Aghhh help, Archie is yipping the house down!! We went out for the night time toilet outing at 5:45, and then I put him in his crate and went to bed. He started crying almost straight away. He has done this a couple of times before and what I normally do is wait until he quiets down and then open the door and reassure him. He falls asleep like this but I really can't do this every night, in the middle of the night, so today I decided to just ignore him. He has been crying nonstop for over 30min, I feel awful and he's driving me crazy, please help!!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2005, 08:02 AM
If he doesn't usually do it Tuti...maybe he is upset about something,how old is he now??Its difficult to tell if they are attention seeking or if something is bothering them....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi Tuti, I can only guess here... errrm am I right in thinking there are times in the morning when you have taken Archie into your bed? (Don't say no you norty thing we have all seen the pictures ) I would say Archie is asking to come into your nice bed for a cuddle.... once you have done that he remembers and wants to do it again..either that or he is hungry/bored. You know he has been out to 'loo' so it is not that reason..The only way round it now is to ignore it and he will stop after a while. It you talk to him or stroke him you are rewarding unwanted behaviour.

Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

06-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi Tuti

I think Mini may be right

However It's entirely natural for a new puppy to call out for someone to come when separated. Pups alone in the wild would not survive without this alarm system. Therefore all your new dog is doing is following instinct.

Either in the nesting box or in the wild, a puppy learns very quickly that when separated from the pack, calls for help will allow other members of the pack to quickly locate him.

If the puppy is very distressed and clearly upset then I will often suggest allowing it to sleep in your room, but within a indoor kennel/crate. Then over a period of time move the crate in stages to the spot where you want the puppy to stay for instance the kitchen.

If you decide that the bedroom is not the best place for the puppy, and their are some very good reasons why pups should not be allowed upstairs. Not least the fact that the bones are soft at this age and the pressure on the joints of the front legs whilst manoeuvring downstairs, can cause a condition called over-run. This is when the bone between the pastern and the wrist pushes over the forearm joint causing lameness and premature arthritis

The first thing you need to know about how to overcome this noise problem is you must ignore it, to go down and scold the puppy would be counter productive, irrespective of whether your appearance is positive or negative the fact that you appeared at all in response to the cries will have reinforced this crying instinct.

If noise never elicits a response, then the pup will learn that this method of communication doesn’t work. ie extinction

What never works is waiting whilst the puppy makes more and more noise then finally becoming annoyed or exasperated and going to the puppy. All that would teach the little horror was being especially PERSISTENT really works!

Punishment does NOT teach your dog to be quiet, any more than it would a baby crying. Punishment or anger would stress him more' and could create behaviour problems or affect your future relationship.

You can help your puppy accept the separation more quickly by introducing the area you want the pup to stay gently and carefully. Feed favourite treats in this area, if you are using a crate then you can leave a stuffed Bone or Kong in the crate as you go up to bed

Stan
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Yep...Mini and DL have said it all....good luck
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Teagan used to cry Tuti, and I used to sit on the landing listening to her, waiting for her to shut up!
It was heartbreaking, but I knew she didn't need the toilet, and I knew it was for attention!
I think she did it for about an hour to start with, but she was quiet as suddenly as she'd started!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Mini, the photos of Archie in my bed were taken when I was having a nap and my sister was taking care of Archie. We use him as an alarm clock and put him on the person who needs to be woken up. He has never slept in my bed, he's slept on the sofa, on our laps but not in my bed, I promise!!

Stan, Archie's crate is in my room.....

Well he cried for more than 1 hour this morning and in the end during a moment of silence I just had to take him out. he fell asleep on my lap, I put him back in the crate, he didn't want to be in the crate, fell back asleep in my lap, until I stuck my head in the crate and then he finally went to sleep.

The problem with him crying is that he is right next to my bed, and it's nearly impossible to just lie there listening to him crying when he's so close. Obviously if I leave the room he just gets more upset I may have to move him (or myself! to another room)

ok... tonight I'll ignore him if he does it again
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Be strong .. .itl pay off in the end
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2005, 10:48 AM
he must like falling asleep on your lap Tuti
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2005, 05:56 AM
I dont believe this...

3am - 3:40 CRYCRYCRY WHINEWHINE BARK

4am - 4:30 CRYCRYCRY WHINEWHINE BARK

5am - 6:50 CRYCRYCRY WHINEWHINE BARK

What's going on? should I still be ignoring him? Is something wrong? Why har my normally perfect Achie turned into the nightmare dog from hell?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »