Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2007, 06:47 PM

Excessive thirst and hunger

Our 10 yr old Mini Longhaired Dachshund Kirsty has suffered from excessive thirst and hunger for the past couple of weeks. When I say excessive I mean drinking every 10 mins day and night and constantly looking for food, hoovering every nook and cranny for a crumb.
We took her to the Vet last week to rule out the first concern that she had diabetes, this proved negative to the Mellitis. She was given antibiotics to rule out an infection.
Some 1 week later and no improvement what so ever, we took her back to the Vet who wants to test for Diabetes Insipitus and or to check if it is a brain problem.
I have spent time looking on the internet for help and noticed that she had all the signs of SARDS. On the first visit to the Vet her eye test proved that her pupil reaction was sluggish to light which is another symptom before sudden blindness. The Vet says it is unlikely as the hunger is so bad they will eat anything ie cushions, trees, their own feet! but the website doesn't state that the hunger is like that. Does anyone have any knowledge of SARDS?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 08:07 PM
None, sorry. just wanted to say good luck x0x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Never heard of it I'd want more of a result than you've got from your vets on this one though. All the best. I know a dog on steroids can be like this, but I don't think he's on them is he? I really don't know, just wanted to wish you luck with it. Try some more searching on this overly drinking and food paranoia you might come up with something other than SARDS perhaps?
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2007, 09:11 PM
What I have read is that the majority of dogs literally go blind overnight but those owners that are really switched on to their dogs health notice that in the run up to SARDS some dogs have an extreme thirst and hunger with poor reaction to light, all of which Kirsty has. She is on no medication. Of course this is the wrong time of year to get tests done. She is to go in next Monday for the whole day to get a water deprivation test were they will exclude water from her and test her urine to see if the PH level rises, her urine is so diluted it is only .2 above distilled water. The reason they are waiting so long is because Thursday they will be too busy to watch her as she will be on half hourly obs and because the tests will take up to 12 hrs to complete so can't be on a day when they close early.
They could do an MRI scan at £900 a picture to see if there is a brain problem. The Vet basically says that no harm will come to her if see continues to eat as the electrolyte balance will be okay and if it is something like SARDS or god forbid a tumour then there is no treatment. If it is Diabetes it will be treatable with a nasal spray. Poor old girl
Luna Wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Have you looked at Cushings disease? That can cause excessive thirst and hunger. My old Goldie had it and they were the first signs we noticed.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I was thinking about Cushing's too and there's a lot of info on here - somewhere!! She's the right age too isn't she for that? Excessive drinking can point to lots of things, but the hunger thing I don't know, but maybe it could point to cushings? Do some more searching and especially on the cushings disease. Good luck for her vet's appt. too.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I had a cross breed (goodness knows what she was crossed with!) many years ago who had Cushings.
She ate everything, even my knitting!
Easily detected with a blood test.
Good luck, I hope they can find out soon what is wrong with her and get her treated.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I was going to say "Cushings" as well, or " Addison's" especially as she is a Dachsie, my friends Dachsie had Cushings...and she was told it is prevalent in the breed (dont know about that)

Do a seach on both these , there is lots of info on the web, and ask your vet to also do tests.