Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jo_snow-2007
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2008, 12:12 PM

Advice on Neutering

Hi Guys,
Can someone please shed some light on neutering. I have a male Jack Russell who is coming up 5 months. The last month or so he has started to hump more than just a bit. Everytime he is 'in the position' with a toy, his basket, your leg or whatever else takes his fancy he gets very over excited!! Its even getting to the stage where he is leaving little 'white marks' all over his bed which I can only assume is his doggy semen (sorry for the in depth detail but I've had male dogs before and never experienced this before)!!
I have heard mixed views on castration, where some say that it can make the dog aggressive and even more territorial. Also at what age is the best time to get this done? I only want whats best for my pup, so any advice for or against castration is welcome!!
Thanks

Jo
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 12:19 PM
The humping is just part of the growing up process and needs discouraging. Castrating may have no effect or it may cure it. IMO dogs should not be neutered unless there is a pressing medical reason for it or it is a case of that or re-home the dog, by castrating you could finish up with more problems than you started with. Dogs between 6 months and 2 years go through a sort of teenage stage and very tiresome it is to but normally only lasts for about 6 to 9 months not the 6 or 7 years that we humans take and I know a few of them I would gladly castrate.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I had my JRT nuetered at 6 months old as he was excessivly humping and showing too much interest in female dogs. It did do the trick he calmed down a couple of months later and is a delightful little chap now 3yrs old who hasn't a nasty bone in his body. He gets on with all dogs and people and has never been snappy.
He was very forward though and cocking his leg full time by 4 months, his hormones were running riot and he thought he ruled the world.
I honestly believe with him, had I left it till later his hormones would have made him so dominant he would have got aggresive towards dogs to dominate them. I will add that is not the case with all dogs, but I knew his character, so it was best for him.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I've had both entire and neutered males and frankly think it makes very little difference to their behaviour. My terrier mix was neutered at about 6 months, he is still territorial and possessive at home and has to be watched and kept in line. He also humps but I don't think it's sexual or dominant, I think it's displacement activity, basically he doesn't know what else to do. He does it to the other dogs when playing, especially if he feels a bit left out He stops immediately when told to and the other dogs ignore his little quirk He is fine when out and about and is friendly with all dogs he meets.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

31-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree with Pita on this one.

Won't stop him humpring and I would only neuter if there was a health problem.

Suggest you discourage him from humpring by focusing his interest on semething else either by using a toy or a treat.
jo_snow-2007
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Cheers guys that helps a lot. I think I'll see how he fares for a while and try to distract his humping- I'll wait a few more months then maybe ask the Vet for their advice, I have an idea they will be pro neutering but we'll see.
Thanks again,

Jo
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 05:34 AM
I am aware that some don't agree with neutering, but we will be getting Bruce done, Our vet will check him over before hand when he's 7 months. Personally I agree with neutering unless you want to breed, which I don't. Good Luck