View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:00 PM

When is a Breeder not a Breeder? (Backyard breeders / puppy farms/ dealers)

Thought I would start a new topic here on the subject of breeders and breeding.

When does a breeder become a peddler? I have heard many different viewson the subject all different but mostly all valid.

My own personal opinion is that a peddler is somebody who breeds litter after litter with no regard for the health or temprament of the dogs that they produce. That a peddler will not care who the pup is placed with as long as the cash is there waiting when the new owners come to pick up the pup. A peddler will continue to breed from unsound animals because again as long as the money is there they dont care.

Sometimes I hear people being labelled peddlars because they choose to breed several various breeds of dog or make money from their animals. In my personal opinion I have no problem with this as long as all the dogs are well cared for, bred for temprament and health and thought is put into where the animals go after they leave the breeders yard.

Just thought it may be a good topic for debate. When does a breeder become a peddler?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:03 PM
i dont think a peddler needs to breed loads of litters. I think they can be classed a peddler even if they jus breed the one or 2 litters. IF they are breeding for money (wether they realise it or not), if they dont care for health checks etc. When they just breed their dog to next doors cos they have wonderful temprements but dont understand how breeding works and have done NO research whatsoever
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:05 PM
So on the money side of things, lets just say we have somebody who has large kennels. They make their living from their dogs but all dogs are bred to the highest standard, the dogs are well cared for and always placed in the best homes....would you still consider this a peddlar?

Just genuinley interested in peoples thoughts.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:05 PM
I think when they look on a dog as a money making machine.....
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:08 PM
i think, if they are making money from their dogs breeding they must be cutting corners somewhere. The minute a dog is looked upon as a money making maching, they are peddlers, wether they are doing health checks and everything or not
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks, In my opinion a peddlar is somebody who breeds litter after litter with no regard for health, temprament or welfare of the animals and have no concern as to where the animals go or indeed end up, as long as the cash is there.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't call them breeders...I have another name for those who do that
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Who do what Inca?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:18 PM
??? who do what
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 01:21 PM
You said

wouldn't call them breeders...I have another name for those who do that

I wasnt sure what you meant but I am guessing you meant the ones I refered to as peddlars in my post above, me being a bit dense.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >