Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cookiemommy
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2016, 03:56 PM

I need help with my shih tzu

Hello all, I'm really confused about my shih tzu pup, she is 7weeks old and she weighs 1pound and her length is about my hand span (and my hands aren't big). Her vet says she is very healthy, but my question is, are shih tzus of that age suppose to be that small or is there something wrong with her?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-11-2016, 05:54 PM
I've never had a Shih Tzu but my Tibetan Spaniel, a breed that grows to a comparable adult size, weighed 500 gr (a pound) when I brought her home at 6 weeks old and like you I could hold her in the palm of my hands (I don't have large hands).

Providing she's healthy I wouldn't worry too much! Chloe my Tibbie, even as an adult was always on the small size and only weighed 4.5 kgs (9 pounds) at 3 years of age.
Cookiemommy
New Member!
Female 

15-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Thank you so much for your response, I think my mind is at ease a bit now.
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Shih Tzu is a naturally small breed. Most of the ones that I know of are around 7-15 pounds full grown.