Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paddy Murphy
New Member!
Female 

20-02-2014, 08:50 PM

14 week Parson Russell, how to introduce to cats

My puppy has been in the house 3 weeks , barks and growls at cats, and chases them, gets very aggressive when I try to take him away from cats. How can I integrate all my pets peacefully? Any advice welcome.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Do you have a cat carrier? You can put the cat in it and have your puppy meet it through that. When he doesn't make a fuss and/or walks away, give lots of treats and praise. Try to associate the cat as a good thing and that good things happen when the cat is around.
How does your cat respond to your puppy?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 02:27 PM
I've always accustomed my puppies by having the cat on my knee and when the puppy sits quietly in front of her rewarding the pup with treats and praise.

My 4 year old Tibbie and 7 month old Pei love their feline sister Sashi who's 6 years old and definitely the boss round here. When she thinks they've stepped out of line she'll give them a belt on the nose with her paw.

Don't fall into the trap though of thinking that cats are always the victims .... my Sashicat can be SO WICKED .... I've watched her deliberately work the two dogs into a frenzy then retreating to a place where they can't reach her .... usually over the fence and into next door's garden!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 03:05 PM
When I had to introduce a puppy into my home where I already had two cats (one I wouldn't worry about at all - scared of his own shadow - the other - well!) My biggest worry was the safety of the tiny CKCS puppy.

Pup used to leap onto the killer cat's back and cling on for a ride. And said cat just put up with it and thenceforth treated the dog like 'her baby' even defending it from other dogs!

Now I've got dopey drawers who thinks EVERY living creature is her best mate (we had a canary hopping alongside us on our walk yesterday) again, it's the dog I worry about. She sees all these street and streetwise cats here in Cyprus and thinks they all want to play and run around with her (and a few do) but it's mainly me warning 'they are NOT your friends - they'll scratch your eyes out!'

I think how you approach it matters but also depends a lot on the nature of the dog and the cat in question.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Hello, and I have no helpful suggestions I'm afraid, being the owner of a JRT who detests cats and cannot tolerate even the smell of them

Some terriers, and greyhounds etc., never ever can be safe around cats and their one aim is to rid the world of them as quickly as possible. You do have a fighting chance because yours is a puppy, so I hope that you get some advice that works.

Good luck
Paddy Murphy
New Member!
Female 

24-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Yes this is my worry, he doesn't seem interested in my older cat because he does not react, but my younger cat, he growls, barks and snaps at it. I thought things were working out, as last week they were both in same room together and after a lot of noise, my cat trapped him and gave him a slap, and so superiority was established. But yesterday, puppy tried to bite him and got very aggressive , so now I am worried