Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Lame dog (not mine)

Long story short I know a farmer who has 4 working dogs (all collies) One of his dogs is a 3 yr old entire male. Not overweight and used as a sheep/cattle dog. Dog has lameness that comes and goes. Seems to be worse with harder ground and more work. Dog exercises fine then goes lame after he's rested for a few hours afterwards (e;g in landrover or kennel) past week or two he's been slightly lame despite no work and then was used (briefly) and afterwards became very lame.
I walk through the farmers yard when taking my dogs out (public footpath) and occasionally see him/chat to him. He told me about this dog today and gave a worry statement that if it doesn't improve he'll have to get rid of the dog! He seems reluctant to go to a vet.
The dog is fed Dr Johns (seen the sacks laying around) and when I've met him is very sweet and friendly. To the extent that I'm reluctant to let him get rid of the dog (whatever that means) Aside from taking the dog off him and taking it to the vet myself is there anything you guys could think of recomending to the farmer as a dietery or supplement to help the dog.
Btw seeing the dog today I'm convinced he has some discomfort in his elbow.

Adam
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
im not oficially talking to you lol but.......

its a difficult one but... but if you can add something to his food once daily we have had very good resuts with this..

http://www.trmdog.com/stride-powder.htm

and sneaky swims
... as its not your dog i cant see what else you could do
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Long story short I know a farmer who has 4 working dogs (all collies) One of his dogs is a 3 yr old entire male. Not overweight and used as a sheep/cattle dog. Dog has lameness that comes and goes. Seems to be worse with harder ground and more work. Dog exercises fine then goes lame after he's rested for a few hours afterwards (e;g in landrover or kennel) past week or two he's been slightly lame despite no work and then was used (briefly) and afterwards became very lame.
I walk through the farmers yard when taking my dogs out (public footpath) and occasionally see him/chat to him. He told me about this dog today and gave a worry statement that if it doesn't improve he'll have to get rid of the dog! He seems reluctant to go to a vet.
The dog is fed Dr Johns (seen the sacks laying around) and when I've met him is very sweet and friendly. To the extent that I'm reluctant to let him get rid of the dog (whatever that means) Aside from taking the dog off him and taking it to the vet myself is there anything you guys could think of recomending to the farmer as a dietery or supplement to help the dog.
Btw seeing the dog today I'm convinced he has some discomfort in his elbow.

Adam
Condition the farmer to take his dog to the vet!

Hopefully he will take on board the advise you give him with regards to a supplement. Should really be taking the lad to a vet asap.

Hope the boy improves.

Take care.

Seoniad.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Several dogs have come our way and been privately rehomed---I'd give him your numbrer and if/wehen he decides to get rid you can take the dog and sort it out and rehome it.

rune
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
He's currently staying with me until he recovers, then we will see if the farmer wants him back, vet has put him on some stuff but says he may have a permenant problem. If the stuff doesn't work he will have to be x rayed! This is getting very expensive lol.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
He's currently staying with me until he recovers, then we will see if the farmer wants him back, vet has put him on some stuff but says he may have a permenant problem. If the stuff doesn't work he will have to be x rayed! This is getting very expensive lol.

Adam
Yep----that is par for the course!

rune
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 07:28 AM

Adam
Well done for taking him on ~ that's a really nice thing to do. I hope you can find out what the problem is & that it doesn't get too expensive for you!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2010, 08:23 AM

Adam
That was quick work!!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I picked him up sunday night and the vet (who is very good) looked at him early yesterday morning.

Still limping today but seems slightly better (this maybe whishful thinking lol)

Adam
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Didn't the vet have any ideas when he manipulated that leg then?? Surely, he must have got a good idea of what the problem was when he manipulated it, they usually do, especially when they pull a hind leg out backwards and the dog yelps out loud (which I hope he didn't do!). Well done for taking the poor dog onboard, let's hope he has a good outcome and not the farmer's gun
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >