Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Teaching Tricks! :)

Helloo everyone!

I was just wondering what tricks everyone has taught their doggies and how they managed to teach the harder ones.
I know it takes a lot of time and patience and dedication to teach a dog anything.

I have a puppy and i think he's rather clever (biased? )
So far he knows;

Sit
Down
Stay
Come
Paw
Other Paw
High Five
High Ten (Both Paws)
Back Off (Handy i think if he's in the way)
Get Down (If he's jumping up)
Leave It (He'll do this even halfway through an intense game of tug )
Gentle (Taking a treat or toys gently)
&& of course KISSES

Oh and he also walks to heel already and if he pulls i only need to say 'Heel' and he'll move back into step with me and he also sits at roads or whenever i stop

I'm wanting to teach him some more and just wondered what tricks everyone else has taught their pups?

I'm trying to treach him Bow at the moment but not sure how to go about it, i've been playing with him and whenever he does it i give him a treat, praise and use the word 'Bow', i know this one will take a lot longer to teach but i'm hopeful

Any advice?

(And people told me SBT's were thick )

xx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Bow sounds like 'down' so I use 'bend', friends use 'curtsey'.

Sounds like you are doing really well. You need to make sure he can do them in lots of different places.

rune
bingblazenskyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 03:00 PM
staffies are NOT thick i have a x breed staff n he knows so many tricks, heres a vid of him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wt08OUwLiU

my husky girl also knows wait, (like leave it) and i can put treats on her paws and she wont eat them untill i say ok

Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Bow sounds like 'down' so I use 'bend', friends use 'curtsey'.

Sounds like you are doing really well. You need to make sure he can do them in lots of different places.

rune
Oh i didn't think of that!
I'll try bend as he does seem to 'Down' a lot after i say it haha

And i've taken him on a park opposite my house and he performed all his tricks whilst 3 young boys were playing football quite close and he ignored which i think is good!
May not be the story if it had been a dog
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by bingblazenskyla View Post
staffies are NOT thick i have a x breed staff n he knows so many tricks, heres a vid of him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wt08OUwLiU

my husky girl also knows wait, (like leave it) and i can put treats on her paws and she wont eat them untill i say ok

Aww i love him!!!!

And your husky girl is beautiful! He does that not tried on his paws yet though he'll leave it if it's inbetween his paws
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 11:35 PM
What about 'dance'? And playing dead? My girl will play dead if you make a 'gun' out of your fingers and say 'bang!' at her, it's fab to watch What about some more 'useful' tricks like fetching specific toys when told, putting things away, opening doors etc.?

I got recommended a really great trick book by someone on here actually. It's called '101 Dog Tricks' by Kyra Sundance. I've found it really great because each trick has a written description of how to teach it as well as a set command/hand movement and pictures showing the different steps for teaching it. It goes through all the simple things like sit, dance etc. and then goes onto more difficult things like playing dead, putting toys away, jumping into your arms & some dog dance moves. It really is great, well worth buying
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 11:46 PM
ok so ty knows his basics,

sit,
down,
stay,
wait,
leave and his heelwork is getting alot better (he is 5 its my own fault is should have kept his training up when he was younger)

he also does:-
Paw
other one
high 5
give me 10
speak (louder or quieter depending on what i want, worst trick i ever taught him, he now barks for a treat if i have it in my hand to long as he thinks thats what im going to ask him to do next )

he can open doors (not something i taught him btw)

takes things nicely,

has been taught, gentle puppy (keeps him calmer when around small animals, dogs that are smaller than him, cats etc)

working on a heel ( different thing but simelar to the one above) i.e once recalled and sat infront of me tell him to heel and he will walk around my right side and sit at my left side but this is a requirement for training class

decided to try and do some more advanced stuff with him for fun as he has hd so wont be serious

you sound like your doing excellent with your pup, keep it up and well done