Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
adamski
New Member!
Male 

16-07-2008, 01:42 AM

crate training

this is going to sound really dumb but please remeber i'm new to this game what is crate training ?
doggyfriends
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Never think you are dumb for asking a sensible question...not enough people ask about things when it comes to training there dog!

Crate training is the process of teaching a dog to go into its crate on command or on it's own and to accept the crate as a familiar and safe location. Dogs are den-dwelling animals and a crate can become a den substitute. Crate-training can benefit both the dog and owner.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you would like me to send you link for crate training.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I have used a crate for each of my three dogs - it gives them a safe haven to retreat to and have their own space. I also found it helped house train them at night.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Here is a very good guide to crates http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552
adamski
New Member!
Male 

16-07-2008, 08:17 PM
when i put tilly inside tho she went nuts!!! cried her little heart out i guess i just panicked and thought she was in distress in some way.i removed her straight away obviously this was the wrong thing to do,this is going to be really tough!!

adam
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2008, 01:07 AM
When I recently got a crate for Sebastian, I set it up with some nice bedding and a few toys in the room, where I spend most of my time... I left the door open, and just went about my work... It only took a couple of minutes for Sebastian to check it out, and next time I looked he was sleeping in there.

After he'd gone in a couple of times I closed the door for a few seconds, and then praised him...

You can try and feed her meals in the crate, so she associates it with nice things, but just leave the door open... It shouldn't take long..

Good luck
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 05:15 AM
My leo actually crate trained herself - i just put some nice bedding and toys in it and left it open - at first she was very nervous but after an hour or so she was stretched out fast asleep (she was about 1 then). As a pup though she squealed like a stuck pig hoping i'd take her out and let her play. She would go absolutely nuts trying to break out, squealing, barking and it went on for 40+mins. It was a case of just trying to harden yourself to the noise and carry on what i was doing till she was quiet - then she would be let out. My wee gsd is actually better crate trained in the car than what he is in the house - bizarre
adamski
New Member!
Male 

17-07-2008, 10:35 PM
well i tried a bribe approach tonight i put her in and left the door open and praised her for not darting out of it and gave a couple of treats i also fed her in it and keep putting her inside it with her bed and a toy i'll see how i get on! see am not doing too bad at the mo i think!! time will tell