View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-08-2014, 09:23 AM
I am responding Rose sorry and sorry for your problems at the moment but I have to say this you would expect someone in awful mental turmoil to inflict that on others and their selves ? That to me is selfish that that is what the living expect.
I did get through I was lucky some days I do wonder how.
Gorden was a Samaritans volunteer so knows the turmoil some in this situation go through.
You have your belief I respect that but I do not agree with it especially not in this situation.
He deserves respect in death as in life regardless of what he has done.

Edited to add I will not respond to any more negative posts regards this as it was a tribute to a funny and troubled man. Not a thread to argue about whether you feel what he did was right or wrong. I will not respond to any posts either way come to think of it as it was not put up for that reason.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 10:15 AM
I spent a happy hour or so in the bath last night with a glass of wine and my ipad watching the 'night at the met' which I found on youtube its in 5 parts and was every second as good as i remembered.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 10:51 AM
RIP Robin, he was an absolute legend.
It's so sad that for him, suicide was the only option out. But we weren't there with him, so we have no right to judge.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Rosebud, I'm responding also. It looks like I'm not the only one who can post horrid things and offend people because I find your posts offensive. I hope I'm the one you so proudly announced was on your iggy list, as this WILL offend you if you read it.

I find it laughable how when you post with negativity, opinionated rhetoric, personal judgment, assumptions, and/or lack of compassion (like you did here), you always want people to not respond.

You then jet off the thread/forum because you claim that you can't take criticism and are "sensitive" and you break down when people are "rude" to you, yet you try and get the last word. Strange, eh?

What I see is someone who can't STAND when people don't agree with them, and whines about being "attacked" when people disagree strongly. Once they see it will get ugly, they wait for their disagreeable/questionable opinion to be forgotten about before they come back to post. It reminds me of a teenager, and given your age... that is pretty pathetic.

You go making up things you thought were true about him and his life, you go saying this and that and you don't know him even the slightest. It's probably best to hold all that nonsense in your head in situations like this.

This is not the place for arguing, like Lynn said, but you need to understand that posting a comment like that here is inappropriate. It's like saying it on the stage at his funeral when asked to speak. You might think it, but for obvious reasons... it's best to not say it.

I actually can't believe you posted that on a thread trying to show sympathy and remembrance. THAT being said, I'm off this thread, as well.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 12:45 PM
My heart breaks that someone as beloved as he was both as a family member and as someone whom was adored by a great many of the population could not find a way out of the heavy darkness.

Rosebud, you stun me sometimes, you really do...

Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Lynn; life is precious and sacred and we are not alone to do as we want. We have a deep responsibility to others. You got through; many here got through, I got through. We all have it in us to get through and by doing so to help others to endure.

I don't believe that everyone has it in them to get through it, I really don't, otherwise there would not be so many tragic suicides. When people get to that stage they really are at rock bottom.

I in my life and work have supported families devastated by the suicide of those near to them. No one has the right to inflict that suffering on others. Period. The guilt, the pain.

I think a fair amount of us have been touched by suicide, you're not alone in knowing what the pain is like. Surely though the pain of someone that is in such turmoil that they see their own demise as preferable to them and perhaps at that time they feel it may be a preferable option to their families has to be taken into consideration?

In Ireland we are seeing a huge rise in suicide. And of course it is linked to the alcoholism that is deeply embedded in the whole culture here. Talking to a mother whose beloved son has killed himself gives a different view. Believe me. There have been times I would have followed that example in my own life.

Can you show evidence that the increase in suicides in Ireland is directly linked to alcoholism?

For a famous person to do this gives a kind of permission to those who admired him. Irresponsible.

I think that is utter nonsense.

I was not calling him bad but saying that what he did was bad. Huge difference. This was an educated gifted man. With more resources than we will ever have.

Emotionally he'd clearly run out of resources, no matter how wealthy, or not, he was.

He made bad choices when he could have made better. Period. For the sake of others.

Perhaps he felt that maybe he did carry out his final act for the sake of others?

There is never any excuse for suicide. Never. Not for alcohol or substance abuse at this level. He knew how to recover; I have sources of info on this.

Yes, he knew how to try and recover, that's why he carried on attending 12 step recovery meetings and programs, that's why he admitted himself to rehab to try and battle his depression

And yes I have prevented suicides also in my life. Faced the darkness of others, held them through it.

My thoughts and prayers remain with his family. he faces the consequences now while they are left to suffer endlessly. Helena once said that suicide is selfish and I believe this totally. It is a rejection of love, of life, of those who love you. It destroys the lives of others.

Would be grateful if no one responded to this post as I am not coming back to this thread. We have terrible illness in our family just now and I am in prayer now for all... lighting candles....

Blessings and peace to all.....
A little less judging and a bit more empathy for a tortured soul wouldn't go amiss quite frankly.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 01:16 PM
It must be so terrible to get into that deep, dark place where you believe the only option is the final one.

RIP Robin. May you finally find peace and may those you leave behind find the courage to accept and carry on
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It must be so terrible to get into that deep, dark place where you believe the only option is the final one.

RIP Robin. May you finally find peace and may those you leave behind find the courage to accept and carry on
Exactly what I thought when I heard the news......
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Bless him, I do not think he would have taken the ultimate step if he felt there was any other way. He sacrificed himself for those he felt he had let down, God rest his soul.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
That is no excuse for suicide. And he had access to all the help in the world. It is his family I feel for in this.

He made his choice; they didn't.

A bad example and he has let many down badly...a bad example
I have to say, coming from someone who is ALWAYS blessing people and making sure we all know how caring you are, the above post does not come from a caring nature.

You show a total lack of understanding on depression and how and does affect people...........

Rest in peace RW and my condolences to his family.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Gorden sent me this link today and I think it sums it up so well.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/b...re-not-selfish
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >