Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jamstarbelle
New Member!
Male 

13-10-2006, 08:52 PM

Valerian Compound any1 tried it

hi my 6 year old staffie is terrified of fireworks dont want to use vets pills tried cd's to get her used to noise didnt work
so im wondering if anyone has tried it at how their expeiriances have been,i take it is safe?where can i buy it(glasgow area would be nice)otherwise online

also dont laugh i heard you can get earplugs for dogs anyone know where?

thanks in advance
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-10-2006, 09:02 PM
You can buy a DAP Diffuser which you plug in I have not tried it personally but have a few friends who have used it with success on their dogs who were frightened of fireworks. If you type in DAP it will bring up the website for this product. Sorry no experience of valerian compound.Hope you get something that works for your dog.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 09:07 PM
I use the skullcap and valarian tablets from dorwest herbs for my older girl. She hates thunder storms and fireworks. They are brill. They just take the edge off, they dont totally knock them out, just make them a little dozy. You can give them for a period of time or for a single dose. I have never had any problems.
I dont know how to put in a link, but if you google Dorwest Herbs the website will come up. They are brilliant with delivery , advice etc.
jamstarbelle
New Member!
Male 

13-10-2006, 09:11 PM
wow thanks for the speedy replies ive tried a dap before didnt make any difference gonna check out that website now thanks again guys keep them comming
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 10:24 PM
I've tried Skullcap & valerian and valerian on its own as my dog gets a bit hyper but I haven't honestly noticed any change.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Here's a link to Dorwest herbs:
http://www.dorwest.com/

I have no experiance with this particular remedy but just wanted to offer some bits of advice to help them be effective.

Do not handle the remedy, this can warrant it ineffective.

Also try to ensure the dog doesn't eat or drink half an hour either side of taking the remedy.

Do not use other herbal/flower remedies when using a homeopathic one since they can cancel each other out. ie; they both become ineffective.

Good luck for firework night! Thankfully Wills isn't effected by them. We have idiots running round setting them off in the streets all night long.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:36 PM
I use the liquid compound, [ rather than the skullcap and valerian ], for my girly Gremlin who is also terrified of fireworks and storms to the point of her being in a state of sheer terror.

Since using the compound, its made all the difference in the world to her. She can actually relax once its kicked in, [ it takes effect for her very quickly ], and it doesnt make her dopey in the slightest, she is totally aware and is like her usual non-scared self on it - I have even been able to get her to play with me during a bad storm thanks to the compound.

It is approved as safe, no worries there, [ but I always state a disclaimer, check with your vet first ].

It should be said that it does`nt work for all, but for those it does take effect for, it can be a tremendous help.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:48 PM
I wonder why it doesn't seem to work on Loki. I think sometimes he fights the effects of drugs etc.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I wonder why it doesn't seem to work on Loki. I think sometimes he fights the effects of drugs etc.

I would be very suprised if he was fighting it as its so gentle - when my Grem was on sedatives for fireworks and storms she really fought those as they affect the muscles as a relaxant which just made her feel more helpless and afraid. Valerian has no such effect so I dont think its that.
It could be as simple as adjusting the dosage as even being a little bit out for the dogs weight can mean it not working at all, but sadly it does`nt help every dog even at the correct dosage which is a shame.

To give you an idea, Gremlin weighs 19 kilos and her dosage is 1.5 mil

I wonder if it would be worth you trying an Anxiety Wrap for Loki if you try a different valerian dose and it still doesnt work ?

HTH
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks Patch-that could be worth a try. We started trying it for the seizures before we started him on meds, but he gets so worked up and excited we wondered if it might help calm him down. For instance the last few days he's been really hyper, unusually so. He doesn't get upset at all with things like fireworks, think he wants to go and fight them actually . Might try a different dose.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >