Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 01:50 PM

How best to distract the dogs when they're tearing around the house

As they've got older Ben and Max are much calmer, but sometimes they chase each other around the house and sometimes have a bit of a play fight. In the past I have got out some toys for them or done some simple training in an effort to take their minds off it, but I worry that I'm telling that that if they run around or fight I'll start givign them some attention.
I assume they're doing it because of boredom and not simply becaus they want to chase each other!
I have found myself shouting 'enough' or Oi' but I don't want to be the owner who does that and I suppose I'm just looking for confirmation that distracting them is the right way to go and if not then what else should I be doing?
If it's boredom then I know the answer is to make sure they don't get bored and starting chasing each other, but they don't do this all the time and we're fairly consistent with how much attention, exercise and games they get each day.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Why are they not allowed to play? My dogs love to play in the house. They always have done, and I don`t see what`s wrong with it.
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like they can't play, I was really getting at when they go over the top. Have just re-read and it does sound like I don't want them to do it at all!
It's a hard one to explain - I don't have a problem with it as such, except when chasing turns into fighting. I don't think they hurt each other but it sounds horrible. Our main problem is being in a terraced house. Ben's barking is enough of a problem without the sound of thunder ripping through the house!
They knock the cushions off the sofa, our duvet off the bed if we forget to shut the door, race round the dining table. The had a bead curtain down a couple of days ago and broke it.
I'm all for them having fun but not at the cost of our furniture or having our neighbours hate us! We rent our house and don't know how our agents would respond if we had complaints. The neighbour, although very friendly, sometimes makes comments about the noise and I desperately want us all to be happy!
And that is the reason why I need to know if there is any way to stop them without being hard on them. I know it can't really be a case of allowing them to do it sometimes but not others as that's not fair on them. I'm just not sure how best to handle it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I think it`s fairly normal.
I find a loud OI! terminates it when I`ve had enough.
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:28 PM
OK, thanks!

I think I just needed to hear that I'm not an ogre if I do that!
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:44 PM
My 2 do this, go from running around to play fighting , and it does sound really horrible, I have learnt that they won't hurt each other, but when I feel the 7yr old (the other is 20mnths) has had enough, and me aswell, I say a very firm "enough" and nine times out of ten, it's all quiet within seconds, the other time, I may have to say it twice, but twice is all they get, they then get separated and put in their cages to calm down, works fine in this house, just don't forget to shut the doors. Good Luck
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for that, your answers have given me all the reassurance I needed.

Cheers Guys.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi we had a Yorkie who passed away a couple of year ago, she was nearly one when we got her she didn't know how to play we bought diffirent toys but she always showed no interest this always saddened me. But we have a Chi now he tears round the garden and house playing with anything he can he knows he's not allowed on sofas or upstairs, yes he's a devil dog sometimes but he's happy I just wish I could have got that playfull bit out of my Yorkie. Ooh I need a tissue, sorry enjoy your dogs happiness.
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2010, 12:12 PM
I needed a tissue too!

I get what you're saying though, just enjoy the way they are and make the most of them.

Thanks
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 05:10 PM
I know I shouldn't but I did laugh at your description of your dogs' antics ~ they sound like they're having so much fun. But I do appreciate the damage they may cause & the noise ~ so I realise that you don't want this behaviour indoors.

My two have mad moments indoors sometime ~ usually instigated by one of them getting a toy from the toy box, stuffing it in the other one's face till a game of tug follows. Then the toy is forgotten & it turns into a rough & tumble game. I tend to put a stop to it at this stage by:

1. If the weather's ok, I just open the back door, throw a toy out & say "out you go" & off they go!

2. If the weather's not good, or it's late at night or early morning, then I just say "enough" (sometimes quite loudly!). Once they pay attention, I ask them to do something calmer, like down stays for a few seconds, or sit & finish, or I place them in down stays in different rooms then return & reward them with a treat. Once they've calmed down a bit, & they've done something i can reward, then I may get them a rawhide, pig's ear, or chew of some sort. This normally engages them so that by the time they've finished the adrenaline etc has dispersed & they settle down.

But I don't want to do anything to make them think playing is not allowed ever ~ just that there's a time & a place for it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >