Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Salmon oil and vit E

Hi

Maggie is moulting like I don't know what and is quite itchy with it too. There are no bald spots or anything like that but she has got flakey skin. I groom her most days with a special brush type thing and the hair that come out is incredible but never ending!

I've searched through various threads and think I'm going to buy her some Kronch salmon oil as it seems to come highly recommended by lots of people on here.

My question is....do I need to give her vit E supplements in addition to this? There seems to be various opinions on this and I obviously don't want her to be missing out on essential vitamins and things.

If the answer is yes, what do you give/how much/how often and where do you get it from?

Thank you for your help!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 03:46 PM
It is advisable to supplement with vitamin E when giving fish body oils as it depletes the body of VitE.

A natural source on is better than the synthetic variety.

I give one of these per day: http://www.healthspan.co.uk/other-ca...p420-c434.aspx
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the link.

Do you put one if those in with their food or put it in a bit of cheese or grind it up? Sorry if it's a daft question. Never supplemented a dog before.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I just chuck it in with their food (although it has to be well hidden nside a piece of meat for the Newf...she's an expert at eating everything else in the bowl and leaving the capsule ) Other dog believes everything is edible so just hoovers it up along with everything else that isn't nailed down
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-03-2009, 07:34 AM
This is where i buy my vit E capsules from...Cheers...Ian.
http://www.simplysupplements.net/pro...tamin-e-400iu/
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I also found when I was trying lots for Bens itchy skin that also adding a 1/2 antihistamine tab a day seems to combine with the fish oil and make their skin and coat better than with the fish oil alone
Dont know why it does that but I did see online that people use that to improve coat

just dont use the non drowsy ones
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all your replies! Fingers crossed it does the trick....I keep finding chunks of hair around the place....hope that is normal for a shedding dog!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Kismet is shedding like I have never seen before. Have to admit I am starting to get worried about her dry coat... I may give this a go as well...

Kronch Salmon oil and vitE supplement you say.. Looks like a trip to Holland and Barratt is in order
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Magpye, glad it's not just me! We've had shedding dogs before but not like this.....there'll be nothing left of her soon!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Pah! With a Newfie and a Chow cross in the house, chunks of hair everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE) are the norm. You should see it when they're blowing their coats....it's like a infestation of small furry animals have colonised my floors...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >