Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2007, 11:14 AM

going to start stewarding any tips ?

Hi going to start stewarding did my first stint yesterday with another steward what a great time i had so anyone got any tips
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Sorry, what sort of stewarding is it you are doing.
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2007, 12:36 PM
at breed shows
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Maybe do a few stewarding seminars, i have been on a few and they are very informative but its also a good idea to have hands on experience so if you can steward at as many shows as possible along side a more experienced steward then you will learn alot as there is to take in and the more you do the more you will pick up. Good Luck
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2007, 08:02 PM
I started stewarding at local open shows - and explained to the secretaries that I was new at it and would require a co-steward. It's fairly easy to pick up and the rules are simple to follow. At the end of the day the stewards job is to keep the exhibitors in order and do what the Judge wants.

The new KC stewarding seminar will help but really the only thing is experience and practice. Ask your ringcraft if you can steward at a match or your club if they need a 2nd (or even 3rd) steward for a breed show.

If you know someone who stewards frequently at local shows talk to them about perhaps mentoring you (this is one of the things I did with a friend that stewards frequently).

I enjoy stewarding nearly as much as showing (and possibly more than judging!) and find you learn a lot about other breeds doing it.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
I think wear comfortable shoes is the best tip. Seminars are good, & stewarding is easier for individual breeds in my opinion. I find stewarding the all breed classes at a limit show harder than a Championship breed show. Nothing is better than doing it, so keep it up & soon you'll be the senior one guiding others.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
I used to do a lot of stewarding at horse show, Eventing (fence judging) Show Jumping and Dressage.

I think, be polite, efficient, smile, and be fair to people, not getting cross or bullish, works . if you are nice to the exhibitors, they will be nice to you.

A tip for exhibitors, its nice if you thank the stewards for their time, at the end of the day, remember if these people did not give their time, their would be no shows.