Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 12:52 PM

judging???

Does anyone know how you become a judge for shows?

I know its another of my stupid questions - i have these moments every now and again

I'm sure you all know - and i don't

Please can someone tell me!!!!!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 01:12 PM
you apply to go on the judging list of the breed(s) you are interested in - usually to the parent club.
Each club/breed will have its own criteria, so you would need to look at each individually when considering an application.

Progressing up the ladder is another thing altogether

PS if memory serves, you can judge a certain number of classes at certain shows (non ch shows) without being on a list at all!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 01:15 PM
You can judge up to 3 classes of a breed without being on any lists - just if you are asked
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi there, I am a show dog but I HATE showing. Dog Show Societies can offer 3 breed classes to anyone whether they are on an approved list or not, however, they dont normally just drag someone in off the street (or field in my case). In my breed, a person who wishes to judge and be placed on the 'C' List of approved judges(which is the lowest level - straight under then fence for me !!) has to prove an active interest in showing the breed for at least 5 years, have passed a breed standard seminar, attended a KC Construction and Movement Seminar and passed a 'Hands On' Construction and Movement Seminar (Does that mean being stroked ?). You must also have stewarded at a dog show 3 times.
If you want to go futher up the judging list through B to A (Top of the tree - never much fancied tops of trees) you have to qualify by passing more seminars and juding a certain number of dogs over a wide geographical area (I like geography - it means hills and streams and fields), and also to have won KC Stud Book numbers with at least 3 dogs owned or bred by you (I've done that - 3 of my children have SBN's !!)

So you have to be mad keen and spend lots of time at dog shows - which I HATE - so I dont think I'll bother -
Thalice-Malice. However, Mum does....
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Progressing up the ladder is another thing altogether
Quite!!
For a change, Ireland makes it easier in some ways although there is a similar apprenticeship to serve....... I fully expect to be giving tickets here well before I give tickets in the UK (probably never, there!). I have my first Open show appointment in December at the biggest Open in the Country.. judging several breeds
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2007, 07:46 AM
If I were you I'd contact your breed club and ask them to send you a judges list criteria. Most of the requirements will be the same but the amount of dogs to be judged before going on the list will vary from breed to breed.

In any breed, judges will have been seen to do well at shows with their own dogs before they are asked to judge.

As has been stated there are also various seminars you can go to, plus breed specific ones.

HTH

Debs
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Don'tknow about every breed but certainly in my breed you have to have done a set number of stewarding appointments as well before going on a judging list. The criteria for judging cc's is partly dictated by the kennel club, but some breeds add things to the KC requirements.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not on any of the lists, I've done everything required to be on them, i.e been in the breed for x amount of years, shown to a satisfactoy level, stewarded, (was on the committee of my local training club for 5 years in Essex) have judged the breed at open show level, Passed the various exams that the KC set, I just haven't been on any breed seminars, they never seem to be in the areas or on the days that I can get to.
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I would like to reply but not sure how they do things out of the states.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 08:33 AM
I am on various BC club lists, by showing an interest in the breed and being active in the showring.
A lot of my judging appointments haven't come through the clubs though but by simply chatting to people. I don't mean asking for appointments, that's a big NO NO. But chatting to people in various breeds, then you find that some are on clubs and committees and they remember me having bc's when it comes to finding judges for their shows.
The most important thing is to judge when you are ready, people are paying money to put their dog under you so it's only fair you know what you are going over.
Seminars are also good, as you not only need them to progress up the judging lists, but it's an opportunity to learn, go over dogs and ask questions. I really enjoy them, you make some new friends and again it's putting your face out there. I've had appointments out of the blue from attending seminars. You then find it snowballs and your name gets round. I've turned down as many appointments as I've accepted due to mile/time rules.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >