register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What are your views on Show dogs entering fun shows
Yes, they should be allowed as per KC rules which should apply for all fun shows, affiliated or not 26 38.81%
No, Show dogs of any level should not be allowed to enter Pedigree classes in fun shows 3 4.48%
Yes, they are a good way for new dogs to gain ring experience for Formal Shows 31 46.27%
No, let them learn at ringcraft and in the actual show ring only 2 2.99%
Yes, its all more entry money and thats what counts for the show/charity concerned 22 32.84%
No, we dont want their entry money thank you 0 0%
I`m not bovvered either way, all I want is a nice time with my dog 17 25.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 11:51 PM

Eligibility, what do you think ?

Do you think its ok to enter dogs which are shown at KC champ shows to be shown at companion and other fun shows ?

This is a multiple choice poll by the way :smt001
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 11:54 PM
I have to say yes, I think it's fine!

I'd go to these shows purely for fun and would hate to be excluded if I had a winning show dog!

What's all the fuss about, I don't get it?!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Its a point which came up on another thread so in fairness to the whole subject of fun shows its only right to discuss it openly [ and politely of course ]
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Cheers Patch.
Just what I wanted
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Its a point which came up on another thread so in fairness to the whole subject of fun shows its only right to discuss it openly [ and politely of course ]
Indeed and I saw that, but it doesn't help explain what the fuss is all about.

Anyway, you've got my vote, lets leave it there.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 06:41 AM
I see nothing wrong with taking a 'show dog' to a Companion show. It's perfectly well within the rules.

There are rules that apply to high level winners, and that's as it should be, but I don't understand why an 'ordinary show dog' should be excluded, just because it might be well groomed and presented and knowledgably handled.

I can only assume the pet owner feels inadequate somehow.

Dawn R.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 08:28 AM
As Dawn said there are rules to exclude high level winners in the pedigree classes which I do understand.

I don't see why they can't enter the novelty classes though! Just cos you are a Sh Ch doesn't mean you shouldn't enter handsome dog or best trick does it?

Its more money for the charity too - and a fun day out!

Although I must admit I only tend to go to either local shows to support them or to give experience to a youngster.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Those who show and think that they have an advantage going to a companion dog show, could be in for a shock, from what I have seen. There are some very nice dogs out there that don't go to Opens or Champ shows. Our best results were always in brace and waggiest tail, I don't think we were ever placed in the pedigree classes yet two of my dogs went on to gain stud book numbers!
In Ireland, the situation is a little different. Even at Opens, Champions cannot enter except in Champion Stakes so we get a lot of local dogs entering and having a good time, alongside the youngsters after their JD points. The equivalent of the companion dog show is the agricultural show and it is rare to see any faces from the show ring there, in fact if it is not a IKC registered event, as members of the IKC (Irish Kennel Club) we are not allowed to enter. (Unlike the UK KC, you become a member when you register a dog so more rules to comply with.)
When I went to CD shows when I lived in the UK, there were some who went who I also saw at Opens and Champ shows. There was always a bit of chuntering but in the main, people got on with it. Whatever show you attend, once you duck under the ropes you put yourself up to the risk of failure and have to accept this regardless of who is in the ring.
That's showing, folks!
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
There are some very nice dogs out there that don't go to Opens or Champ shows.
Very true. It also seems the case sometimes that, taken to a breed show their grooming, trimming and handling would make it difficult for them to shine. Things are, generally, much more forgiving at companion shows and so they very often take a win from a more expertly presented dog.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I couldn't really care less who or what enters the classes at Companion Dog Shows.

I go to spend time with my dogs on a 1-2-1 basis (hard sometimes when you have multiple dogs), enjoy the company and mix with likeminded people.

The title of these shows say it all - Companion - show or pet they are all our companions.

To be honest, I'm happy if a couple of people tell me that I have got a nice dog
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >