View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
younglady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2006, 12:19 PM

Dog doesn't like water/baths - any tips?

hiya

i know this isnt techincally grooming but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get my dog into the bath so we can wash him/bath him so hes can get clean as he doesnt like being in water and just jumps out again! any help wud be appreciated cos hes starting to pong! ( bless him!)
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 12:26 PM
HI

Not sure how long you have had him ?

Basically my staffie Bruno has had to learn to put up with the bath as he can get stinky seeing as he likes to roll in everything !!

I have now got him to a stage where he will go and get in the bath if I say the word !! He also knows when he needs a bath as sometimes he will just go and put his front paws on the bath !! LOL

However probably the best suggestion would be to either not fill the bath and just have him get in the bath with a toy and then using a shower attachment wash him that way ( dont go anywhere near his head and he should be fine - Bruno only tries to bolt fromj the bath if you wet his head )

if toys dont entice him then try food treats to get him in the bathroom and into the bath. i actually lift bruno in the bath as he has bad hips but he usually stands with his front feet on the edge and I just wash away - his limit though is about 5 minutes max before he wants out again !! so 1 just wash quickly !!

he loves getting dried and playing tug with the towel - which is probably the only reason he puts up with the bath in the first place !!

good luck
dani
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 12:35 PM
china doesnt like it but outs up with it any way , she will only give you a kiss once she is out....

I found that using the shower attachment is best as she doesnt like standing in the water ( but pond water is perfectly fine to stand in!) get someone to hold them firm and talk to your dog the whole way through to soothe it then over time they should be fine!
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 01:08 PM
I put Danny bear into the shower cubicle if he's mingy and if it's just mucky paws, he gets to stand in a couple of inches of warm water in the bath tub. He doesn't seem to mind

If your doglet really hates it that much you can buy dry shampoo from pet stores
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Put him in the bath, get someone to hold him by head/collar and keep talking to him feeding him REALLY tasty food while you wash him, massaging the skin and making it a really good experiance.

I have done the same with all mine for getting up and standing still on the grroming table, being trimmed, being blowdried etc etc.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Dogs can panic if their footing is insecure, so a rubber bath-mat or a towel should be placed on the bottom of the bath to prevent the feet sliding about. I am sure you knew this but it is worth mentioning for those that may be unaware
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Do you have a garage? Or outdoors if it is warm enough and dry...
  • fill a couple of buckets with warm water,
  • get someone to hold your dog on a lead on the garage floor or small table,
  • pour a little water over the dog with a plastic jug, then rub him all over with shampoo talking all the time in a cheerful reassuring voice,
  • rinse off all the soapy water again using the jug,
  • if you are going to do the head take care not to get any water in the ears and do it last.
  • now a brisk rub with a towel, most dogs love this
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Dogs can panic if their footing is insecure, so a rubber bath-mat or a towel should be placed on the bottom of the bath to prevent the feet sliding about. I am sure you knew this but it is worth mentioning for those that may be unaware
The towel also helps stop them scratching the bottom of the bath. We keep Suki's collar on, as although she loves her bath, when she's had enough she will try to jump out - try keeping a slippery pup in the bath is just madness - the collar allows your helper to keep a hold. Also the shower hose is preferable - no dirty water lapping around their feet and ensures that their coat is properly rinsed. Oh and an extra pair of hands is an absolute must.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 06:01 AM
If he is a pup then make sure he has a firm footing and insist, if he is older wipe the coat with a damp cloth and finnish with a leather, if you must bath then do it outside when it is warmer and use buckets of water and finnish with the hose, put on a collar and attach short lead to something solid first.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
If he is a pup then make sure he has a firm footing and insist, if he is older wipe the coat with a damp cloth and finnish with a leather, if you must bath then do it outside when it is warmer and use buckets of water and finnish with the hose, put on a collar and attach short lead to something solid first.

I have done this before with my friends dog and it worked, so very good advice there Thordell