Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lindsaynp View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. I know I am going to have to keep her off the bed. My only issue is that I don't feel like it is her being territorial or elevating her status. I tell her to get off the bed ALL the time and she listens right away. When I go to push her off the bed she does not ever growl at me or anything. Recently I have made the change not to allow the dogs on the couch. They understand and listen to the word "Off". The ONLY time she shows aggression on the bed is when she is asleep and is woken up by something.
It doesn't really matter the reason behind the behaviour, if she is going for you in any situation you need to remove the situation.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
It doesn't really matter the reason behind the behaviour, if she is going for you in any situation you need to remove the situation.
I agree, I don't like being woken up either but you can't tolerate being bitten or nipped just because you move about in bed. Give her a bed of her own where she can sleep undisturbed.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2017, 05:50 PM
It's got nothing to do with elevated status/dominance (whatever you want to call it), it's to do with not liking to be disturbed or being startled when asleep.

I do, however, agree that when a dog growls and nips when this happens, you have to make the adjustment and have a 'no sleeping with us in bed' rule.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's got nothing to do with elevated status/dominance (whatever you want to call it), it's to do with not liking to be disturbed or being startled when asleep.

I do, however, agree that when a dog growls and nips when this happens, you have to make the adjustment and have a 'no sleeping with us in bed' rule.
One of my previous dogs was a tiny Tibetan Spaniel, who would growl and air snap at anyone who woke her up suddenly. Nothing to do with aggression, elevated status or domination, simply a normal reaction of a dog who's been startled awake. Something she only did during the day, but not during the night when she'd sleep snuggled up next to me in bed.

I always asked anyone visiting my house that when Chloe was asleep if they wanted her to move off the sofa,not to touch her but to talk to her quietly until she was fully awake before telling her to move.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Dont buy that - neither Hal, Tai nor Ben liked to be suddenly woken up but never would either of them have air snapped.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2017, 11:36 PM
All dogs are different and have different levels of tolerance to a variety of things.

Not only do they have different tolerance levels, but also different ways of reacting once their level has been reached
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Snapping is aggressive whatever the reason behind it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Exactly, and is not to be tolerated under any circumstances IMO.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2017, 10:40 PM
I agree with you, Lyndsay if she is asleep or semi asleep then she is be reacting defensively . Also , as yo said , you yelled at her when she did it so this would make her more jumpy and defensive .
has she had a health check for arthritis etc .

Agree though that the dogs need to be kept out of your bed.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It's a warning though and a natural behaviour .
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >