View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2016, 05:47 PM
I have 2 corgis, One is really smart, the other one is... very pretty...
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
From having many types of breeds through our training class the cockerpoo is a very brainy dog. For me my collie is and will even come and alert me if someone is around by standing in front of me when I am occupied staring at me until I say what is it and then he will show me by moving away looking back at me. Most dogs are intelligent and if you look for the signs if you are with them most of the time you will see what I mean.
I pretty much agree with all of that.
I think a big part is what they learn for themselves and that's possibly easy to underestimate.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Oh yes you have to be one step ahead for quite a few of them. I have been around so many dogs I think I start to think like them or at least know what they are thinking. Helps when we have a class of newbies. Owners that is. bg!!
kaliska
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Everything but the shiba is intelligent. What they learn in training isn't a good example for my breeds because they have little to no desire to do something just because I said so or often even because I have treats. They are smart though. For example spacial reasoning such as which window lines up with which part of the house and the fact there are 2 doors and where they are. The shiba is clueless, the akita knows everything including the windows, the husky at 6 weeks knew there were 2 doors, and the latest one hasn't experienced both doors as much but easily figures out the typical path to things around the outside of the house. We have to haul the shiba around by leash when the others just know where to go.

Another one is the treat dispensing ball. The shiba eats the food that got knocked out and then sits practically on the ball guarding the food she can't get. The akita says this is stupidly boring and too much effort for kibble. The husky used it some but agrees with the akita unless hungry. The malamute puppy loves the thing and chases it for hours if I put a couple cups of kibble in it. She knows just how to knock the kibble out but you'll start hearing frustrated squeaks when it gets low.

My adult part of my pack I would rank akita (azami), husky (nijiro), and then shiba (haruko). Aiko the mostly malamute probably rivals the akita but is too young to compare still. You have to really want it to get azami to do most anything. I probably looked like an idiot so many times in class. She doesn't care about food very much, cares about toys even less, and pleases me when it's not inconvenient. So getting her to work with me was a constant battle of wits and sometimes just being the one who is more stubborn. I think Aiko will be worse. She's food motivated but she also is bolder and has to try everything once, preferably twice, to establish the response around her. Every last detail is tested. You have to be ready every second you are working with her or supervising her to tell her what is acceptable and what isn't. She learns fast and rarely repeats a mistake but she's steadily getting more insistent and stubborn on getting her way instead of listening when she gets in trouble.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-12-2016, 04:21 PM
I have a Miniature Schnauzer and a Shar-Pei, both of whom are intelligent but in very different ways.

My Schnauzer is a happy go lucky confident boy, very quick to learn and always eager to please. He's extremely agile and excels at obedience and agility. He's inquisitive and takes an interest in everything I do ... he's my little shadow and helper.

My Pei girl takes life very seriously and can be aloof and stand offish with people who don't know her. She always needs a reason for why she should do something and likes to take her time to think about it. Having said that she's not a difficult dog by any means and most of the time is beautifully behaved.

She has no interest in other dogs and as for agility she considers it to be a total waste of her time. After all why weave in and out of poles when anyone with any logic will know it's much quicker to walk straight past them?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2016, 04:37 PM
Dogs display intelligence in so many different ways it's hard to describe. My Dobermanns were conventionally intelligent, followed my instructions but were able to think for themselves and act accordingly, hardly surprising when you consider what they were bred for. People think Pugs are thick but they are far from thick, they like to please themselves but are actually really easy to train as they are people pleasers and governed by their stomachs. As long as training is fun they are happy to learn. Kazz summed up Staffies perfectly tbf and mine grew up with my Dobermanns and copied everything they did so has been really easy. My terrier is a mix but again was well trained by the Dobermanns and has never not recalled when called. Never had a problem recalling any dog so I guess I must be doing something right.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2016, 04:56 PM
I have never had a problem recalling any of mine either and I find it amazing that people seem to think "recall" is simply the dog lifting its head up looking the direction of the owner and carrying on.........doing exactly what they were before being bothered by the owner.......same as "stay" I was brought up to believe that "stay" means "stay" untill I say otherwise....and "wait" means hold on a minute or so why I pick up this doggiep**p or chat to someone, open a gate door etc etc etc
Lucia silvia
New Member!
Female 

22-12-2016, 06:16 AM
More Than Any Others
Debbiesmith4555
New Member!
Female 

22-12-2016, 06:59 AM
My boxer has been trained to close the door when she comes in from the backyard, i'd say that's pretty smart
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Debbiesmith4555 View Post
My boxer has been trained to close the door when she comes in from the backyard, i'd say that's pretty smart
Hmm one of my Dobermanns taught herself to unlock the back door and let herself out, Clever but aggravating at the same time, she never bothered to close it when she came back in.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >