Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2011, 01:22 AM

Aggression.

Hi my Chihuahua has started to be aggressive with my partner mainly when we are near each other even passing eachother doing everyday household things, he'll have a real go at his feet an ankles, this has only just started in the last few weeks. My dad looked after him a couple of weeks ago as we had to go to a family wedding didn't want to leave the dog on his own, when we got back my dad mentioned he'd growled at him when he was putting his coat on to take him for a walk. Though my dad has looked after him before when we were on holiday for 5 weeks.
This aggressive phase seems to have just started, he had a go at my partners ankles today as we were cooking tea I banged a magazine down which made him stop and go to his bed. I'd like to stop this asap any ideas please???
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 07:25 AM
The only thing I can come up with is to get him checked over at the vets just to make sure that there isn't any underlying water/ear infection?
Sounds a bit unusual that he only growls at the males in your family, but I'd certainly start with getting him examined.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 07:35 AM
How old is your chihuahua?

If a dog is an adult and showing any unusual/different behaviours from the norm, without any obvious explanation, the first thing to do is have a vet check (as Rubster suggested) to ensure the dog is physically ok. Often a vet will only do a quick check over but it is not a bad idea to have blood tests and ensure that ears, eyes etc are checked and that there are no pain problems such as arthritic pain.

Did the behaviour start just after your dad looked after him? If so then it may be that you need to ask your dad for more details as to their interactions as their might be a clue there..

Wys
x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by miz66 View Post
Hi my Chihuahua has started to be aggressive with my partner mainly when we are near each other even passing eachother doing everyday household things, he'll have a real go at his feet an ankles, this has only just started in the last few weeks. My dad looked after him a couple of weeks ago as we had to go to a family wedding didn't want to leave the dog on his own, when we got back my dad mentioned he'd growled at him when he was putting his coat on to take him for a walk. Though my dad has looked after him before when we were on holiday for 5 weeks.
This aggressive phase seems to have just started, he had a go at my partners ankles today as we were cooking tea I banged a magazine down which made him stop and go to his bed. I'd like to stop this asap any ideas please???
My initial thought was - he's spoilt, babied etc.. he's become possessive over you.. so in a way is protecting you from men.. HOWEVER - reading on.. I think there maybe a little more to it.. either something has made him distrust/fear men (just a thought - not saying anyone has done anything to him!) or he needs a vet trip. But it is very strange for him just to attack men and especially as they seemingly aren't doing anything - it could be fear, it could be something completely different.

You have a number of things to go about it..
- Vet check
- Behaviourist
- Training classes...

How old is he and how long have you had him? What was he like with Men before you had to go to the Wedding?

(And I've just realised who you are.. so I know your Chi isn't a spoilt (horrible) one )
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Could it be jealous of your partner? I say it as I am not sure of the sex. I take it you have seen all the dog whisperer episodes where the chihuahua attacks any one coming near HIS female ? Not saying it is that but worth checking.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 07:44 AM
How old is this dog, is he entire, are there any other animals in the household, have you had him since a pup?

How old is your dad? Is he frail or active? Has he been trodden on etc?
Griphon
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Hello Miz66,

Have you ever left the dog alone or with others before? If you have not, you must remember that he/she will have a tendency to try and be closer to you than ever, and rule out any causes that lead to he/she to be alone.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Years ago we had a lab x that suddenly started to become aggressive with my husband. We had him castrated at the age of two and he was fine after that - it made a huge difference to his behaviour generally.
Griphon
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Years ago we had a lab x that suddenly started to become aggressive with my husband. We had him castrated at the age of two and he was fine after that - it made a huge difference to his behaviour generally.
Fivedogpam, I have to agree with what you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:01 AM
I banged a magazine down which made him stop and go to his bed.
Train him using rewards. A simple Blanket or Bed command and reward - lure dog to where you want, give treat, say Blanket, repeat at least twice a day, a few times each time.
Train your dog - it makes life so much easier.
If your partner trains the dog as well, your problem is solved.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >