Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missy G
New Member!
Female 

09-05-2010, 04:58 PM

A nightmare of a spay

Hi peeps,having a bit of a dilemma with my dear dog , she was spayed 9 days ago, she also had hernia which they removed at the same time,they kept her in over night as the wound kept ouzzing .I collected her the next day ,and over the bank holiday weekend the oozzing got quite distressing,the mess, the smell..yuk,so when I went for my check up the following week I actually asked them to keep her in as I couldnt bear it, and so they did for two nights.

I phoned the vets the following day and asked if she was fit to collect,on collection the scar was looking of signs of improvement and they said I could take her home on the condition I didnt leave her alone.

She has her back paws bandaged up,and wearing an e collar,she is on pain killers and just finished a course of inflammority antibiotics.I have been dissapointed she has still been spotting a couple of times a day since shes been home..which is a hell of a big improvement,but Im just frustrated wether she should still be bleeding after 9 days ???

It just makes me wonder and I hate to say, should the vet of done another stitch under the hernia on the left hand side, in which case the bleeding may of stopped by now,its getting to me as Im getting charged for the after care which Im thinking could be due to not having enough stiches, any ideas please ,anybody else gone through this ,thanks .http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/o...SAM_0352-1.jpg
seaunicorn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I think this is awful, my Missy was spayed 9 days ago, the vet did stitches under the skin which we cannot even see, she had a collar on for 5 days and painkilling tablets for 3 days, she has not bled at all and after 3 days was jumping around like the puppy she is. My opinion would be to get a second opinion from another vet, I don't think that you should have to pay for aftercare, but I don't know the legalities of that, many wishes for her recovery.
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
hi,
to me that doesnt seem right after 9 days,
my girl ruby was speyed 9 days ago and has the stitches out on tues (could of been monday but no appointments left), the stitches have been no bother and there was only a few spots of blood about 3 days later and the wound also swelled a little bit due to her bouncing around like a loon but a quick trip back to the vets to check it out and 5 days anti-inflammataries the swelling has gone right down and i can see the wound has healed over
i think if it was me i would maybe be getting a second opinion

ps dont no if all vets are different but i only paid for the anti-inflammataries there was no consultation fee
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-05-2010, 07:39 PM
when mine was speyed she was up and running within 9 days without any spotting whatsoever, it does not seem right.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Poor girl, she has had a bad reaction. Hope she starts to improve soon

Hugs from us
Missy G
New Member!
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi there , many thanks for your replies all, it is a bit of a concern for me now, and I think I will get a second opinion from a different vet ,but can I ask did all yours have hernia?
Im only assumming this could of make matters worse as the oozing is coming from next to where the hernia was, I did mention to my husband that I would of thought the excess skin from the hernia would of been tucked in ,instead it was left hanging out, which is probly going to look odd when healed up,and as for paying for after care how do I know Im not paying for their bodge??
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Sorry, but I think you need a second opinion asap! After 9 days the wound should, in my opinion, not look like this pic! As for paying for aftercare, keep taking pics, go for a 2nd opinion.... Chances are you'll be able to get it back... First and foremost is ofcourse to get your baby well again... But as backup: the more pics and/or videos, the stronger you'll stand!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Definitely get a second opinion.

Hope your girl recovers eventually without too much stress....

x0x
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 08:28 PM
It does sound a long time to be still be oozing. When Tilly was spayed she also had a hernia done & was absolutely fine. her stitches got a bit tight after 7 days where the skin in between healed but that was all.
I hope she's ok x
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Please get a second opinion; your poor little girl is really going through it (as you are) and it should not be the case.

Do remember though that vets will be a little cagey and unwilling to say anything against another vet's work.......the main thing is that your girl is mended properly.

Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >