Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 06:21 PM

I've been busy this week

I've had two weeks off work so thought it was the perfect opportunity to do some baking and other general cooking.

So far this week I have baked a lovely batch of chewy chocolate cookies and also a nice loaf of bread:

And today i've been busy making runner bean chutney and a spiced carrot and garlic chutney although it turned out more like a marmalade!

The runners and the onions for the runner bean chutney all came from fresh from my veg patch. Also the carrots for the carrot chutney also came from the veg patch so all a very home-grown affair!

Here's the chutney's (carrot on the left hand side, runners on the right):

They've now gone into the under stairs cupboard as it's nice and cool and dark and they will be left for a couple of months to really enhance the flavour. I'm hoping that if they turn out ok then i'll be giving them away as Xmas present's along with the pumpkin chutney i'm going to make after halloween with a recipe that Steph (youngstevie) kindly gave me last year which was delish!

Am also doing homemade chicken liver pate nearer to Xmas as well as part of my homemade gift campaign!

I've really enjoyed trying some new recipes this week and putting my surplus garden harvest to good use!

Thanks for looking!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-08-2010, 06:33 PM
They all look delicious.

I made some nice food hampers a couple of years ago for friends they went down really well. Even nicer if its all from the garden
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
They all look delicious.

I made some nice food hampers a couple of years ago for friends they went down really well. Even nicer if its all from the garden
It amazes me every time how much nicer or tastier home grown veg is. Today was a classic example with the onions - supermarkets onions I can chop without shedding a tear and think i'm fairly immune to them but the ones out the garden had my eyes absolutely streaming because they were so strong!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Nice stuff! They all look lush... esp that bread!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Looks good - especially the bread

Must admit I'm not sure about the runner beans chutney!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Nice stuff! They all look lush... esp that bread!
The bread was good if i do say so myself!

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Looks good - especially the bread

Must admit I'm not sure about the runner beans chutney!
If i'm honest i'm not a huge fan but up until this year my Dad has made it every year but due to them moving out of their current pub this year he hasn't been able to grow beans to make chutney so i thought i'd stand in for him this year and make a couple of batches!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 09:16 PM
You have been busy, I had a good crop of toms lot of red ons, but the green ones became green tom chutney LOL.

I'll be doing that receipe I gave you and quite a few more ready for Xmas.

Going to try sweet pickle too

Your bread looks fabulous by the way .....well done xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Fantastic!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Looks brill. "a girl after my own heart" I intend making chutney and pickles as pressies too,my favourites are spicy celery and pepper pickle and beetroot and onion chutney