Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise2
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2005, 09:12 AM

Hand rearing pup

Does anyone have any advice on hand rearing puppies? It is just one pup out of a litter of nine who has had difficulty feeding from his mum. He has maintained his birth weight after four days but the others are almost double his weight now. Does anyone have any advice please? I am feeding him on 'whelpi' as recomended by the vet. Please email me.............
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 09:20 AM
contact crazy cockers she had to hand rear a whole litter last year ..she would be the best person to ask IMO
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 09:21 AM
There is a good article here on hand rearing. http://www.caninechronicle.com/featu...ffman_604.html I've done it a couple of times with other peoples pups. Get into a routine and keep them a constant temperature were the best bits of advice I was given.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2005, 10:37 AM
A couple of things to try, make sure this puppy still gets a turn on the teats in the hope he gets some milk from mum (for acquired immunity)
Try the teats nearest the back and always put the pup to mums mouth first so that she can lick its face to give her scent so it knows the smell when it finds the teat. Try a little honey melted in water, I have kept many puppies alive on honey and milk Good luck
Louise2
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Honey and milk? would that be good for him? he's only put on 31/2 oz in five days after loosing two
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Louise2
Honey and milk? would that be good for him? he's only put on 31/2 oz in five days after loosing two
Hi Louise yes if you want to put a bit of weight on honey is excellent and if you get organic all the better . It is a natural food, easily digested and energy giving , I used to mix it with complan and puppy milk and kept many a litter alive .. Good luck with your little one .Remember the above also.
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2005, 03:17 PM
A good one to help kick start his digestive system to ensure he gets the most out of what he does eat is live natural yoghurt. If you have a small medicine syringe, pop half a ml into his mouth before feeds twice a day. Did a world of good to a small boy I had last litter who couldn't feed well.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Louise yes if you want to put a bit of weight on honey is excellent and if you get organic all the better . It is a natural food, easily digested and energy giving , I used to mix it with complan and puppy milk and kept many a litter alive .. Good luck with your little one .Remember the above also.

Hi Minihaha, what proportion of honey to milk would you add? I've been using Carnation condensed milk, the weight is going on my little man but it;s very slow!