Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sapphia
New Member!
Female 

17-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Sudden food agression- ideas?

Hi all, my 8 yr old Boxer cross bitch and my 7 year old SBT bitch have been together since pups. My SBT always finishes eating first and always roots around for dropped food. She has always gone right up to my Boxer cross with no reaction until very recently. The first couple of times they just mouthed each other, but on Wed they bit each other and drew blood.

Since then I have separated them while eating.

Nothing has changed at home. Something must have triggered this though. I would like your ideas or experiences please.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Around 8 years, dogs seem to go through a second seniority stage of development where the unexpected can crop up.

As you have two bitches, I would manage as you are doing now, ie feeding separately. Once bitches get too serious, it can be damned near impossible to get them to be friends again.

One thing I would rule out is health problems by having both dogs to the vets for a full MOT. It's quite common for an underlying health problem in one of the dogs to cause nightmares behaviour wise
Sapphia
New Member!
Female 

17-03-2017, 10:43 PM
Thanks Chris, I didn't know that about the 8 year stage.

I was hoping that the separation would only be temporary. Maybe not

It had crossed my mind that it might be worth getting my oldest checked out by the vet but not both.