Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2015, 07:22 PM

Tattoo identification for dogs

has anybody had their dogs tattoo'd as a secondary measure alongside microchipping?

been reading into it myself and as it is a visual mark, in some instances it has acted as a deterrent to would-be theives, or if the worst has happened, the tattoo'd dogs have found their way back to their owner much quicker.

thanks!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Dillon has a tattoo in his left ear his breeder tattooes all her pups before leaving. He is also microchipped which we had done.
Luckily we haven't lost him or had him stolen but I feel safer with the belt and braces approach.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2015, 07:44 PM
I have thought about it, but not found anyone near that could do it. The people who run the training club I go to are micro chippiers so I get them over and its all sorted then. Would also tatoo if I could. Not sure about the ear, have heard tales of ears being cut off,and that makes me feel sick
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2015, 07:49 PM
That's the 1 thing that puts me off about it all tawneywolf. But as Lynn said, its that double layer of protection. and doesn't rely on technology to read
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Sounds like a good idea. How big is the tattoo on Dillon's ear Lynn?
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2015, 08:04 PM
this has been my source Azz:

http://www.dog-register.co.uk/
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Not big at all Azz and not obvious. I think its more for the identification for ourselves as no one other than us or who we told would know he was tattooed. It is registered like the chip. Must admit the tattooing of the ear does concern me if he was stolen then dumped but he came with the tattoo his breeder was very happy we had him chipped alongside it.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks both. You'll have to try and take a pic of Dillon's for us Lynn - be interesting in seeing how much of his ear it covers now he is older.

I'm glad I watched the video at the link you posted as well Madison, I was beginning to wonder how a puppy would keep still for long enough

Here's the video in case anyone else fancies a look:

gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Tattooing one or both ears is a recognised method of identification for English and Irish bred greyhounds that are registered with the Greyhound Stud Book. As are the puppies from some lurcher breeders (most specifically David Hancock) Hancock gets a lot os stick for being a supposed puppy farm, but takes this measure for the future security of his pups. Incidentally the vast majority of his pups are good physiological specimens.
As it is such regular practice with greyhounds it would be quite obvious to people on seeing one with an ear missing that it had been stolen. I wouldn't say that this would remove all chances of it happening but it reduces it drastically.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Azz thanks for the video I found it very interesting. I always imagined dog tattoos being done the same way humans tattoos are done and wondered how the dog sat still for so long I never imagined it being done like that, so quick, simple and seemingly painless.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >