Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:16 PM

fireworks worry or something else?

Paris has been a little odd for the last week or so. No huge changes to her behaviour, just a few little things that i thought you guys may be able to help with.

I cant decide if the root cause is the fireworks, this is our first bonfire night with her. She hates thunder and cowers and shakes
We had a one incident last week when out on our evening walk where a firework went off quite a long distance from us and she jumped tried to wriggle out of her collar and pulled all the way back home

Since around that time she has not wanted to go on her walks, she often lies on her bed when we put her jacket on and we have to coax her out. We try not to make a big deal, happily getting our other dog Phil ready then calling her and if we open the door she comes trotting out on her own. I cant decide if this is anything to do with the firework incident or just because its also gotten very cold in the last few weeks and she hates cold!

She's pulling on her lead more on walks now too. My OH said she was really bad last night.

Nothing has changed at home, We both work shifts so a routine is difficult for us to stick to but we try and keep things as normal as poss and things were fine until a couple of weeks ago.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I find in general greyhounds can be quite sensitive, it could be something as simple as the cold or rain that is stopping her from wanting to go out. My boy hates the rain and avoids even going out to pee in the garden if its raining!!

You will probably find that she snaps out of it. They can have long memories so if she heard a firework when out she may well be associating walks with fireworks and they can be very flighty dogs in general.

I find my female to be moody and a bit stubborn at times, and she has 'phases'. Is she eating and drinking normally and taking treats?

If she acts like she doesn't want a walk, leave her and take Phil, i bet the next time its time for a walk she won't hesitate to go if she thinks she is going to miss out!!

The pulling on the lead thing i'm not sure about. My girl likes to walk ahead, she will pull on her lead just to get her nose ahead of Wizard and then quite happily walks without pulling. She simply wants to be a that little bit ahead while Wiz plods behind!! She is the dominant one and this is one of the ways she demonstrates that!

Probably not been much help there at all!! All i can say is i wouldn't worry too much if she is eating and drinking normally who cares if she doesn't want to go out in the cold or when there are fireworks!! i wouldn't push the issue, it doesn't make you a bad owner not to walk her at this time of year if it's simply too stressful for her.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Aww thanks that was actually really reassuring. Paris sounds just like your girl! She does seem to have phases when is she is stubborn and moody too.
Paris certainly always has to be in front of Phil on walks! The pulling on the lead is continuing though even after she has made sure she is in front of him. I'm hoping it is just another phase.