Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cwmcarnhuskies
New Member!
Male 

13-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Husky Grooming Elbows

Hi

When grooming our husky, she's now 2 1/2, she has always had bald patches on her elbows.

Does anyone know why this is, it is more noticeable in the summer when her coat is shorter, but it is there all year round.

Do I need to groom this area more to stimulate the hair follicles?

Other huskys (both sibes and malamutes) I've meet seem to have this, can't find an answer in any of my husky books, but one owner said she heard it was due to anxiety. If you meet my girl one attribute you wouldn't associate is anxiety, she is very confident and loving.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:06 AM
its calluses(sp) they get it from laying down and pressure on that area all the time, you can rub vit e oil into it to soften the skin, but I tried it and the hair went an orangy colour, unfortunately unless your dog always lies on a very soft surface you wont get rid of it, you could use a whitening paste to try to whiten the area, but if its for showing your dog should not get penalised for having these marks.

Mo
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:21 AM
hi
as mo says this sounds as it is from lying on hard surfaces although she is fairly young to get them....is she overweight?
cwmcarnhuskies
New Member!
Male 

13-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks both, no shes not overweight but she does often lay outside to cool down.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 03:38 PM
dogs that lie on concrete seem to get these.
All of mine live indoors and they dont have them. I did have an older boy that came here that had them and then over time they have gradually disappeared and the fur grew back.

Its completely normal though