Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Training school - Sit command problem!

Went to training school this morning we do half hour obedience and half hour Agility. Well Ozzie is great on the Agility now

But on the obedience side of things I'm still having problems with the sit command! He does sit - the problem is he sits facing the wrong way! The problem has arisen cause I trained him to sit using treats - and now when I say sit - he automatically goes in front facing me and sits How do I get him out of this so that he sits at the side of me - its becoming a problem!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Do you use the close command at you club where the dog goes around the back of you to sit at your side?

At our class we do a recall to get them to sit in front, they then get a reward. then we lure them around the back of our legs and into a sit at the side of us. Our trainer builds this up in stages. If you keep the treat close to your leg as it goes round it helps the dog to sit in the right position, the reward is then given.

I have to say Fudge gets a bit confused if we have been doing alot of agility as the reward is given after the obstacle/course not in the traditional sit position.

I hope this makes sense...
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2007, 11:31 AM
We tend to lure the dog behind us with a treat and get them to turn round so the dog is sitting forward close to the left leg, so they are turning round in a circle. They do get it eventually.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I see what your saying, but this problem comes about when we are all made to walk in a line with out dogs to heel and the instructor shouts "Right get your dogs to sit"
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2007, 12:01 PM
That is harder. My dog is hip height so I can lure him with a treat going back over his head, but a small dog would be harder without bending down. Have you tried clicker training?
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Heidi1 View Post
That is harder. My dog is hip height so I can lure him with a treat going back over his head, but a small dog would be harder without bending down. Have you tried clicker training?
No - never used a clicker - nobody at training school uses them Now that's strange isn't it!

I just feel a bit of a fool when your walking along - you say sit and he turns and sits facing you
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Maybe try the luring round the leg technique so sitting in that position becomes natural, then add a couple of steps before giving the sit command?
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Maybe try the luring round the leg technique so sitting in that position becomes natural, then add a couple of steps before giving the sit command?
Thanks for that, I shall give it a try during the week before class next week. As if I try it in class, the people behind me will end up on top of us
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 08:12 PM
If it were me I would keep the treat slighlty behind the leg, the dog will go where the food is, so if you have your treat at the front then the dog will be at the front, if you have it level with say your bum to start with,,,,,ok he may be a bit behind but you can slowly bring him up with some work, the problem is most things come from the front,,,so the dog wants to be there, even worse if you wear a bum bag,,,,if you do try sliding this round to the side or back too,,, also try treating from diff places,,,so the dog never knows where its going to come from, that should keep him more tuned in,,,,, good luck,,,
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
If it were me I would keep the treat slighlty behind the leg, the dog will go where the food is, so if you have your treat at the front then the dog will be at the front, if you have it level with say your bum to start with,,,,,ok he may be a bit behind but you can slowly bring him up with some work, the problem is most things come from the front,,,so the dog wants to be there, even worse if you wear a bum bag,,,,if you do try sliding this round to the side or back too,,, also try treating from diff places,,,so the dog never knows where its going to come from, that should keep him more tuned in,,,,, good luck,,,
That's probably it! It's the bum bag - do you know, I never even though of that! How stupid am I Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >