View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2011, 07:50 AM
I have also been told that yogurt with probiotics is good for parvo pups to help rebuild their digestive immune systems. Ever heard of that?
Yes. And I believe it really helped get mine back on her feet. It's very popular with everyone here in Cyprus anyway - vet recommended it (has to be the unstrained variety) I give her a spoonfull regularly anyway (I eat mine with maple syrup and walnuts!)

We all thought my pup was a goner. Then thought the diarrhoea would never stop even after she was back on her feet.

But it did - she now has a cast iron constitution and nothing seems to upset her. And she is a bouncing glossy bundle of energy.

A very different dog from the one I brought home from the vets to nurse myself when they couldn't say if she'd live or die - she could not stand properly and when she did stand could not put all four legs down. I look at her now and cannot believe it's the same dog!

Mine had had one lot of vaccinations. But she had to restart them again once she was fully recovered. So it was longer before she could go out anywhere but that was a good thing what with her being ill. And, having no gardens and being in an apartment with just tiled verandahs and floors made it very easy to keep everywhere totally clean and disinfected.

I knew this dog would be easy to housetrain when I saw her trying to drag herself outside to poo even tho' she was desperately weak and desperate 'to go'. Bless her.

I wish you and yours well.
weibley
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Thank you everyone for all the good wishes. Thank you for the scrambled egg advice--I took some in with me today and she gobbled it up! Even the vet was surprised. She dropped a piece on the blanket and was actually looking for it. I should be able to bring her home tomorrow if she keeps eating. It has been a long 10 days. Thank you again to everyone--it means alot to be able to talk to other parents at times like this. Will keep you updated.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I've been informed by a vet (not sure just how true this is) but Parvo can live in the ground for up to three years, lying dormant. Someone I know whose litter of pups was inadvertently exposed to parvo, found out that it can, unfortunately, have serious consequences later on in life. It can cause an enlarged heart, and can also have an adverse effect on developing joints, unfortunately there's no way of knowing whether a pup will go on to suffer these side effects, some develop completely normally, keeping everything crossed your pup is one of the lucky ones.
weibley
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks again everyone for the wishes. Muna is finally back home after 10 days at the vets. She is still on medication and sleeping alot. She has been home for 4 days and is eating and drinking and wants to go outside to do her business. Every day is a little better. A combo of chicken liver, scrambled egg, rice and yogurt seems to be the most appealing but is starting to want some kibble food as well. Thank you again everyone.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2011, 09:19 PM
That is wonderful news, and you must be feeling so relieved now that the worst is over.

Good luck, and I hope that Muna now goes from strength to strength and that you have a great deal of fun together. Don't forget to post some pictures!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2