register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: How do you roast your potatoes?
Boil first 3 6.52%
Par boil first 38 82.61%
Roast from raw 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Boil for 10 minutes until the outside is soft,drain water,replace lid and shake to fluff up.

Remove roasting tin from hot oven (200 degrees),shake a load of black pepper over the spuds,place in roasting tin,but roll them all over in the hot oil to seal the outside (stops them going absorbing the oil like a sponge) and cook for 40-50 minutes.

Im making some later on along with roasted butternut squash etc.Deelicious!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 02:42 PM
OH is a bit OCD about food and one time he walked into the kitchen as I was roasting the potatoes and cringed at all the oil in there Now I do them with about 1/3 less oil but I have one of those spray oil bottles and as I turn the potatoes I give them a quick spritz with the spray oil, seems to work well. Otherwise it's part-boil for 15 minutes, shake up to roughen the edges and in the oven at 220 for 40 mins.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Same here par boil, drain shake in the saucepan then into hot oil and baste and you must baste every so often and sometimes turn them.

I use Maris or King Edwards have used Desiree they work well too. Learnt from my mum.
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm a par boiler too (as well as an old boiler! Lol!), oven hot, fat hot, but I chuck lots of salt on them too after I've chucked them in and turned them over in the fat (that's very important to turn them before putting them back in oven and so is that salt!). Same with the chips, always salt over them before lowering them into the deep fat fryer, nice and crispy!
This is how I do my roasts as well, I get the right hump when my OH forgets the salt thing!! Men never seem 2 follow things the way we women do things lool, when will they ever realise we know best
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:37 PM
None of the above, usually. Well, apart from the par boiling bit, I suppose!

Much prefer them par boiled, fluffed up and put in the fryer! Golden brown, crispy and crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Love them like this! We don't have them often, mind you. Guess they're just like big chips then, but they are nice.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Much prefer them par boiled, fluffed up and put in the fryer! Golden brown, crispy and crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Love them like this! We don't have them often, mind you.

That is saute potatoes...................chuckle chuckle.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Much prefer them par boiled, fluffed up and put in the fryer! Golden brown, crispy and crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Love them like this! We don't have them often, mind you.

Is it? Wouldn't have known. My granpa does most of the cooking in this house!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Yes most definitely
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post

Just Googled - they're flat potatoes and they're called snacks up here! The ones we put in the fryer are the usual, cut potato shaped as if you were making boiled potatoes or roasting etc.
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2010, 05:16 PM
You all have too much time on your hands!

Tesco Finest roast potatoes and yorkshires are just fine!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >