Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lees
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Can anyone advise..CSJ or SKINNERS???

Hi guys,

After much internet searching and reading posts on here I have now narrowed it down to two foods i think i would be happy enough to introduce my pup to in the next couple weeks. She is on nature diet at the mo which i am happy with but, would like to introduce a dry complete aswell. Ceri from csj has emailed me and we have discussed 'little champ' and i have a stockist very local who i can collect from, however my local petshop who i spoke to yesterday told me she hadnt heard of csj(mmm) she advised skinners but she only stocked the working dogs one field and trial my dog isnt a working dog? so am i right my dog shouldnt have that? Im looking at these two because they are so reasonably priced i want a good food for my pup but it has to be economical as i spend so much on my older dogs food because of his health problems.
any advice will be appreciated
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 10:30 AM
CSJ dont sell in shops, in my opinion, its a far better food than Skinners.

"Working" dog food means VAT free, thats all!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
CSJ dont sell in shops, in my opinion, its a far better food than Skinners.

"Working" dog food means VAT free, thats all!
I think it depends which range you are comparing.

Just looking at the two brand's puppy foods:

CSJ

Typical Analysis

Protein : 28%
Oil : 13%
Fibre : 2.75%
Ash : 6.0%
Vitamin A : 15,000iu/kg
Vitamin D3 : 1,200iu/kg
Vitamin E : 200iu/kg
Copper (as Cupric Sulphate) : 18mg/kg
Ingredients

Wheat, Chicken Meat Meal, Maize, Chicken Fat, Prairie Meal, Wheat Feed, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Full Fat Linseed, Green Vegetables, Fish, Rape Oil, Yeast, Minerals, Fruits, Herbs EC permitted natural anti-oxidants, Mixed Tocopherols, Ascorbic Acid and Rosemary Extract.

Skinners

Protein 27%
Oil 18%
Fibre 2.5%
Ash 8%
Vit A 15,000 iu/kg
Vit D3 1,500 iu/kg
Vit E 275 iu/kg
(as alpha-tocopherol)
Copper 20 mg/kg
(as copper sulphate)

Poultry meat meal (min 30%), maize, chicken fat,
white rice, oats, maize gluten meal, sunflower meal,
whole linseed, beet pulp, whole dried egg, vitamins
and minerals, yeast, MOS.

The CJS has wheat as the main ingredient whereas the Skinners has the meat meal. IMO if you compare like for like within the ranges, there really isn't much to chose between them - some dogs will do better on CSJ, some on Skinners (and some on neither!)

For adult dogs the main thing to look at when considering a working dog food is the protein content - dogs that are working hard will require much more than the average pet, so some of the range will have protein content way above what you would want to feed a pet dog (unless he is very, very active). But most working dog food companies do a range of foods and will include lower protein foods.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I have used CSJ for a few years now with no problems at all in fact my young collie was brought up on Champ,...... ok i do put some extras in sometimes
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think it depends which range you are comparing.

Just looking at the two brand's puppy foods:

CSJ

Typical Analysis

Protein : 28%
Oil : 13%
Fibre : 2.75%
Ash : 6.0%
Vitamin A : 15,000iu/kg
Vitamin D3 : 1,200iu/kg
Vitamin E : 200iu/kg
Copper (as Cupric Sulphate) : 18mg/kg
Ingredients

Wheat, Chicken Meat Meal, Maize, Chicken Fat, Prairie Meal, Wheat Feed, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Full Fat Linseed, Green Vegetables, Fish, Rape Oil, Yeast, Minerals, Fruits, Herbs EC permitted natural anti-oxidants, Mixed Tocopherols, Ascorbic Acid and Rosemary Extract.

Skinners

Protein 27%
Oil 18%
Fibre 2.5%
Ash 8%
Vit A 15,000 iu/kg
Vit D3 1,500 iu/kg
Vit E 275 iu/kg
(as alpha-tocopherol)
Copper 20 mg/kg
(as copper sulphate)

Poultry meat meal (min 30%), maize, chicken fat,
white rice, oats, maize gluten meal, sunflower meal,
whole linseed, beet pulp, whole dried egg, vitamins
and minerals, yeast, MOS.

The CJS has wheat as the main ingredient whereas the Skinners has the meat meal. IMO if you compare like for like within the ranges, there really isn't much to chose between them - some dogs will do better on CSJ, some on Skinners (and some on neither!)

For adult dogs the main thing to look at when considering a working dog food is the protein content - dogs that are working hard will require much more than the average pet, so some of the range will have protein content way above what you would want to feed a pet dog (unless he is very, very active). But most working dog food companies do a range of foods and will include lower protein foods.
Why do you think protein is the main thing to look for? Its a common misconception that a higher protein level will make a dog hyper if thats what you mean? Its a balanced diet that means more, not any one ingredient.
lees
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Thankyou for your replies i think i am goin to give champ a try i have read many good things about the food and i am sure i will know soon enough if she dislikes it or if it doesnt agree with her.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why do you think protein is the main thing to look for? Its a common misconception that a higher protein level will make a dog hyper if thats what you mean? Its a balanced diet that means more, not any one ingredient.
sorry - I didn't mean that it was the most important thing about what food to choose - what I meant was that the OP thought she shouldn't use working food for a non-working dog. I was just trying to point out that this is something to be aware of if you are looking at working dog food for adult dogs.

I'm not sure that high protein making dogs 'hyper' is a complete misconception - I don't mean it in the way that E-numbers can make a dog hyper, however, increased protein levels does give a dog more energy and if a dog is not able to work off that energy, it could be considered 'hyper'. To me its the same as feeding a horse oats - fine if they are working it off.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
sorry - I didn't mean that it was the most important thing about what food to choose - what I meant was that the OP thought she shouldn't use working food for a non-working dog. I was just trying to point out that this is something to be aware of if you are looking at working dog food for adult dogs.

I'm not sure that high protein making dogs 'hyper' is a complete misconception - I don't mean it in the way that E-numbers can make a dog hyper, however, increased protein levels does give a dog more energy and if a dog is not able to work off that energy, it could be considered 'hyper'. To me its the same as feeding a horse oats - fine if they are working it off.
Ahh I see, yes I agree, a balanced diet is the correct way to feed, higher protein wont send a dog nuts, if its balanced with other ingreduients and the dog gets the required benefit from it.
dave g
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2010, 06:19 PM
There are both full of rubbish for you dogs, put them on a raw diet thats the best they can have....
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by lees View Post
Hi guys,
however my local petshop who i spoke to yesterday told me she hadnt heard of csj
Alot of people haven't heard of it, as it's only available online and they don't spend millions on advertising. So take it as a good signthat their entire (sucessful) business is running on word of mouth and good recommendations!

The only thing I've seen some people say is that they add a spoonful of oil to CSJ

Originally Posted by dave g View Post
There are both full of rubbish for you dogs, put them on a raw diet thats the best they can have....
but thats not what was asked!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >