View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tobyx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Toby adores raw whole carrots, he lies gown with it between his front paws as a Rabbit would and eats it like a Rabbit and will only eat it from the pointed end.
He Also loves his greens esp iceburg lettuce. Infact he likes greens over meat!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Monty loves strawberries, infact he loves most fruit and veg.

On Sunday's he has his biscuits with roast leftovers mixed in and he will pick the veggies out before anything else thats including the meat!

He also loves oranges and its quite funny watching him eat them!
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'll get them some strawberries later and see if they like them, Robson probably will but Lady has turned her nose up at fruit so far!

Robson likes banana but think I will have to give him one when it has started to soften a bit, he had one that was just ripe earlier this week and he was a bit loose the next day! So might try a soft banana next time.

Karen
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 02:43 PM
In the winter I often make them a sunday roast. That is all the bits and bobs left over, carrot & swede, cabbage, peas green beans roast potatoes and a bit of meat covered in left over gravy, all mashed up. they love it!!!!
and I know what's in it too and proper gravy before I get shot down in flames
Elaine xxxx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Tilly's not keen on fruit except for grapes which I found out they shouldn't have on the other thread - she loves her veggies though!!
I'm hoping she doesn't like raspberries as I have a large rasp bush & don't want her nicking them when they fruit - though knowing her she's prob just nick them for the fun of it!
jmfortune
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Thank you for the list . I'm making dog biscuits, and my frozen blueberries are past date, and I have frozen mixed berry blend that I can use. I knew about the carrots and green beans--the furry babies LOVE the cookies with them.
Mike Noggle
New Member!
Male 

17-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks. Gotta keep this list for reference. There are so many things dogs are not supposed to have. Nie to know what they CAN have safely.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2011, 10:29 PM
They can have any food bar onions, avocado, grapes, raisins and chocolate.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
They can have any food bar onions, avocado, grapes, raisins and chocolate.
They certainly can!
A lot of digestion is down to certain bacteria in the gut which are able to break down the food. Believe it or not, it is only recently that we discovered the bacteria are the primary factor for digestion.

When you give an animal or human a new food, it can cause an upset IF they don't have the right kind of bacteria in place to digest it.... So with a new food you might see the runs at first go - but if you continued to feed the new food in very small amounts, you will eventually see a change.

Case in point - my mum & dad fed their dogs on kibble or canned food from 1968 to when mum's old girl died aged 15 in 2008. If they ever gave their dogs leftover chicken or turkey, the dog/s would get the runs, so mum & dad said it was "too rich" for them. The truth is that because they had never had that food item on a regular basis, they had no way of dealing with it.

I now live with my elderly mum, and my dog - who has been given all kinds of different foods throughout his life and is now completely raw fed - and she still gets worried when I give him something 'odd' to eat such as a segment of tangerine, a piece of raw fennel bulb, half a raw Brussels sprout that falls on the floor. So sorry to disappoint you mum, but he's not had a squitty bottom for 2 years.... and that was down to stress at the time

Whoever said variety is the spice of life was right; and the wider variety of foods your dog samples, builds his digestive system up to full speed and also - I believe - his immune system as well, since he is not going to be knocked down by eating something 'funny' and he has the full complement of helpful bacteria all ready and waiting to deal with whatever he takes on board
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
For those who might be interested, I just found this, and these are all SAFE for dogs.

carrots
- green beans
- peas (I prefer to give them still in the pod)
- lettuce
- strawberries
- blueberries
- apples (fruit only; the seeds contain toxins)
- kiwi
- blackberries
- raspberries
- bananas
- peanut butter (great for kong stuffing)
- plain no-fat yogurt (great for kong stuffing)
- canned pumpkin
- raw meat and giblets

That's interesting about the apples, that you mustn't give the pips, didn't know that!
Its the core you need be weary of too as its got small traces of cyanide which are higher in crab apples.

should be cautious with nutty products (incase of nut allergies and choking hazards))
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >