Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shangri-La
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2012, 10:52 AM

What are your thoughts on supplements

Do you give your dog any supplements........

which ones do you give....

Why do you give them.....
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I personally think they are mostly a waste of money, but there are a lot of people on here who swear by them
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 11:19 AM
For a while for Bens itchies I gave fish body oil
and of course then you have to give vit e

I find it best now to give whole oily fish now
The problem is when you suppliment one thing you depleat another thing - but in nature the things you need tend to be there with each other - so you could give calcium suppliments - but you also need phosphorous and vit d and stuff - or you could give boones which have it in the perfect mix anyways

Basically if you feed well you dont need them
same with humans - it tends to be people with a good diet who use them - so they dont actually need them. Its only if your diet is bad (or you have an illness) that you actually need them - and its always going to be best to sort out your diet
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Dillon woul dnot mabnage wihtout his Flexiwize (Glucosamine, chrondroitin, and various other things having mild hip dysplasia and a damaged toe he also gets green lipped muscle salmon oil and vit c also researched and helps with hips etc.,

We were recommended by an orthopedic surgeon who assessed Dillon at 6 months old to use a good quality supplement so he could lead a normal young puppy life which he does. I noticed when I tried another brand that wasn't as good he suffered and his movement was more limited so he went back on the Flexiwize. In my experience they work.

ETA he is mostly raw fed with a small amount of Arden Grange partners.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 11:51 AM
AT the raw food seminar I attended Nick said that as a minimum all of us (people and dogs) should be taking a multi vitamin/mineral supplement and Fish Body Oil.

In addition he said once dogs were adult a good chondroprotective agent.

He also recommended Spirulina.

I give my dog a multi vitamin/mineral supplement, Fish Body Oil, Vitamin E, Cetyl M, Yumove (working dog) and Yumpro.

They also get Keepers Mix and Easygreen.

I give supplements for overall health, the fact that foods contain less minerals than they did 50 years ago due to farming practices and for joints.

So it matters not if you have a good diet or not, the facts are that fresh foods are a) not that fresh and b) do not contain the vitamins and minerals they are alleged to (any more).