Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:53 PM

Off Lead Walks

What is the best way to introduce a rescue dog to off lead walks?

I think she will be ok, but would it be best to have her with other dogs that have good recall? In an enclosed ish space?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2010, 09:10 PM
depends

how long have you had her?

what breed is she?

does she have any issues?

have you actually trained a recall yet?

how have you trained the recall?
- ie, have you been thru the long line phase yet? used a whistle?)
been thru the distraction stage using the long line and practicing around other dogs yet?

definitely dont do your first off lead sessions with a bunch of dogs that just do a runner or have no recall skills themselves
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:32 PM
She has been in her new home a week, not planning off lead work yet, but thinking about the future (in a few weeks or so).

She is a lab and is 8 years old. She isn't really answering to her name (the rescue named her), but she comes to a whistle and happily follows you when in the garden when you walk away.

Long lead is next on the list when I walk her next (she isn't mine, but a relatives).

I could walk her with my retriever x who has very good recall.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
She has been in her new home a week, not planning off lead work yet, but thinking about the future (in a few weeks or so).

She is a lab and is 8 years old. She isn't really answering to her name (the rescue named her), but she comes to a whistle and happily follows you when in the garden when you walk away.

Long lead is next on the list when I walk her next (she isn't mine, but a relatives).

I could walk her with my retriever x who has very good recall.
got you now.
then i would say my post above applies as regards training.

the first time you let her off i would also take the precaution of using an enclosed area.

using your other dog is a great idea, and after you've done really good voice and/or whistle recall on long line in your garden first, then out and about, then add in all the different distractions.

make sure its really well proofed.

you could add in hide and seek games as well.

im assuming you know all about the usual rules using treats, dont tell her off for not coming, always be cheery and enthusiastic, etc, etc.

cheers