Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:51 AM

Itchy and scratchy pup

Hi,

I got a little rescue pup (about 10mth old) 10days ago, i knew nothing about him the "kennels" just said we know nothing about him £25 and you can have him, no food, no nothing.
Hes a great little pup but hes for ever scratching his ears, so much so that hes very little fur on them (jack russel type ears) his ears were very dirty when he came to me but just dirty no mite, i cleaned them out with some cotton wool they were BLACK but he still continues to scratch to the point they bleed a little. They dont smell or anything and are no longer dirty but boy can he scratch, hes also scratching his body a little no much again, no mite fleas ect

Any ideas on what i should do????
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 10:04 AM
If his ears were dirty and he is still scratching them then he more than likely does have earmites which live right down deep in the ear canal, which you wouldn't be able to see.
You will need to take him to the vet for the vet to check them and give you the correct treatment.
Panda84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I would take him to the vets or even the vet nurses for a puppy check as they should be able to tell you if he has ear mites. Also I would look at what you are feeding him as Panda was a very itchy pup and it was because he was allergic to the wheat in his kibble. we changed foods and about 6 weeks later he was great, no more scratching or dandruff.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I would take him to a vet. Ear infections can rapidly turn nasty, and I`d be suspicious of mange (which can be passed to people) if no fleas were evident. Get the pup treated asap.
Since he`s a youngster, doses of any medication need to be suitable for him, so don`t use anything unless you`ve checked with a vet first.
And well done for taking the little chap in.
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok thanks everyone, Sultan is now booked into the vets tomorrow morning for a full check, chip scan as i dont even know if hes chipped i wouldnt think he was as the kennels would or should of checked him, and give a full check up. Hes been scratching his ear so much just now its now bleeding silly pup. One isnt bothering him now but the other is. I have never had ear probs with any of my dogs so wouldnt know what to look for with mites.

I will let you know how he gets on.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I have never had ear probs with any of my dogs so wouldnt know what to look for with mites.
You can't see the mites in the ear but the symptoms are lots of wax and scratching at the ears.
I know you said you cleaned them out but just wanted to say never poke anything in the ears further than you can see, as you can cause a lot of damage.
Good Luck at the vets, let us know how you get on and sounds like the pup is very lucky and found a lovely caring home with you.
loobey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2010, 06:51 PM
hope all goes well at the vets. you're doing the right thing having him checked over. they'll sort the little fella out.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 07:06 PM
I agree a visit to the vets for a check up all around sound sensible.

It is also best to have a visit to the vets just so you can meet him anyway.
Did the kennels mention inoculations at all.

What kennels did you get him from, was it a proper rescue.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Good luck at the Vets, and I know that you will sort him out. As others have said, it could well be ear mites which are invisible without one of those scope thingies, or might be related to a food allergy as he is scratching other bits as well.

Some beefy ear drops, plus a general anti-parasite treatment will rule out the creepy crawlies, and after that if the scratching continues it will be a case of looking at his diet.

Without people such as yourself who are willing to take on these dogs, there would be vast numbers of sad and sorry creatures in the rescue centres.
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Good Luck at the Vets, hope they can get him sorted so he isn't so itchy. Let us know how it goes.

Just a thought (although I wouldn't do this till after you have spoken to the vets) as you say he is also a bit itchy on his body that it might be worth giving him a bath and using puppy shampoo. Especially given the background of the dog it might be he has never had one and I know many dogs can start to itch if they haven't been washed for a while as their skin is annoying them, I know our dog Harley does and he is much better after a wash.

Thinking of you and your pup and well done on giving this puppy a home I'm sure he was very pleased to get out of the kennels.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >