Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Corned beef for treats?

Is it ok to use corned beef for training? I've never seen it mentioned. Might it be a bit too salty?
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:06 AM
im not an expert but i would think it would be too much salt for a treat
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Its also not that convenient as it gets messy if warm. Also has a lot of fat in it.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Whilst I'm sure most dogs would be delighted to be trained with corned beef , it wouldn't be my first choise either. It gets very greasy when warm, high salt content & very messy to break into the tiny pieces used for training.

One of the best things we've used are tinned hot dog sausages (they do a "lite" version too). Whilst the salt content may be a bit high, there are other benefits in that you can cut them into tiny pieces, they freeze well & defrost quicklyl & have a distinctive taste that most dogs like but they don't get at any other times.
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I did get the go ahead from the vet to feed corned beef to my last dog, but it was a very different situation, she was coming the the end and the vet was happy that we gave her whatever she would take. Didn't get any advice on general feeding....
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I thought it might make a change when training as we are using lots of treats at the moment. But I defrosted some pilchard cake instead And have just braved Tesco on a Friday to get ham and chicken. I did use hotdogs once but found them very slippery
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't give large quantities or give it regularly but occassionally wouldn't do any harm. I'd save it for when you need a super dooper special treat eg I hold back chunks of garlic sausage specifically for recall reinforcement and it's the only time he gets it
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 01:39 PM
That's worth bearing in mind. It is a recall issue I'm working on.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 01:45 PM
I usually use hot dogs as well but a real fav. is liver cake or black pudding cut into cubes.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm afraid liver cake is a step too far! But I do bake liver in the oven for treats. And I bought some very expensive freeze dried liver that she doesn't really like, probably because it is very hard (I have to hit it with a hammer to break it into usable pieces ).

I shall put black pudding on my list I do need to vary treats as she is not a huge foodie and gets bored easily.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >