Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 06:24 PM

Co-op chicken wings and mince

My local co-op has just put in a big chest freezer full of raw feed paet supplies! Bit expensive, but still... cool!... Now I dont think I am going to move over to raw feed, we're happy with our skinners, but I would consider chicken wings as a healthy treat, particularly as one of her 'while I'm out' longer lasting treats, currently she enjoys mince frozen into a kong, treats wrapped in newspaper and stuffed in boxes, or frozen fish...

How safe are chicken wings? Would you leave a dog unsupervised eating one?

Should I defrost them? Or could she eat one frozen? The bag is £4.50 so I want to be sure they are suitable before I fork out

Any advice would be gratefully received
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I can buy a packet of 12 chicken wings in Aldi for 1.75

their perfectly safe never had any problems with Millie though many people advise you hold the chicken wing for first timers to make sure they chew and don't gulp it down.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
My local co-op has just put in a big chest freezer full of raw feed paet supplies! Bit expensive, but still... cool!... Now I dont think I am going to move over to raw feed, we're happy with our skinners, but I would consider chicken wings as a healthy treat, particularly as one of her 'while I'm out' longer lasting treats, currently she enjoys mince frozen into a kong, treats wrapped in newspaper and stuffed in boxes, or frozen fish...
I would not call a chicken wing "longer lasting" - not the way Pereg goes through them!

How safe are chicken wings? Would you leave a dog unsupervised eating one?
I do not stand over Pereg while she chombles her wings.

Should I defrost them? Or could she eat one frozen?
Pereg will eat them fresh, frozen, or defrosted.

The bag is £4.50 so I want to be sure they are suitable before I fork out
Any advice would be gratefully received
How large [in weight] is the bag? I pay ~£1.50 for a kilo of very meaty chicken wings, but they are regular wings from a poulterer for human consumption, not pet quality.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Hmm didn't look at the weight of the bag, it was bigger than a normal bag of chicken wings, possibly twice the size? The wings themselves were unfurled and large, not all tucked up and tidy the way the human consumption ones are.

I figured if she could have it frozen, it would last about as long as the fish does... so about 10 mins as opposed to the instant swallow of most of her treats!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I bought pet quality chicken wings once and wasn't impressed. The bones were not all covered in meat and I prefer they are so the bone is covered on the way down(all psychological I know). We buy the bluestripe human grade Tesco ones now.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Perfectly safe, I dont go out and leave them with it but I wouldnt watch them like a hawk either. My girls have them frozen usually. Totts devours them in a few seconds. Amber can take an age on them.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Ranger chomps his in about 5 seconds Value wise it would depend on the size and weight and how oftern you planned on feeding them. I buy either morrisons or asda value ones (around £1.50 for 10-12) and he gets them thawed (if I remember!) or frozen, doesn't make much difference to him either way.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I bought pet quality chicken wings once and wasn't impressed. .
I get chicken necks from my raw food supplier, Albion. Much lower in fat and more meaty than wings, also cheaper!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 09:28 PM
How long they last depends on the dog one of mine takes about 5 seconds per wing the other about 5 minutes

I'd want to know many were in the bag or the weight as that sounds expensive to me.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I bought pet quality chicken wings once and wasn't impressed. The bones were not all covered in meat and I prefer they are so the bone is covered on the way down(all psychological I know). We buy the bluestripe human grade Tesco ones now.
i get those ones for mine too

mine probably have chicken wings three times a week (depending on if i have other bones to feed them too) and they have one wing as one meal.