Female 

10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
(((hugs))) to all!

kate n ruby
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Just wanting to send some big (((hugs))) to you and Ollie. Been offline for a few days and just trying to catch up on things. Sorry he's had a bit of a setback but it sounds like he's a bit brighter today and you're getting some fab and sensible advice from Nadia and her team.

xoxox
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
For what it is worth, I believe that you know your dog and any decision that you make regarding treatment will be the best one for Ollie. You have done everything for the best so far after all.

Here's hoping that he continues to improve, and a big cuddle for you both in the meantime.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-02-2011, 11:32 AM
It has taken her this long to do the research and speak to the relevant people about Ollie's nose bleed the other day.

We are going to be treating for aspergillosis without testing. The testing is very complex and would mean anaeshetic a CT scan, A camera up the nose and possible tubes in for a few days for flushing. Sometimes they bore a hole in the skull as well. We have decided no to go down this route with Ollie. It would mean him being hospitilised again too.

There are also a few other things it could be but would still means tests which we have decided against.

With all the information the medicine people and surgical people have said this is more than likely possible what he has as the steroids will of started to compromise his already compromised immune system and this is what some dogs can get with this treatment.

So they are sending a prescription for the tablets we decided with Nadia we should treat him for it because if this is what he has and it is not treated it will eat its way through and he will have a nose bleed that we possibly will not be able to stop.

We have to reduce the steroids to 11/2 tablets a day and now we will see how he copes on a slightly lower dose especailly as some days he has a bad day with his walking even on the steorids at a high dose. We do not know how long he has we think months definatley not years and more than likely not a year. We are basically keeping him happy and comfortable till the drugs stop working for him which they will do sooner rather than later.

He has also got another mark on his nose coming down horizontal from the nostril on the left hand side this appeared late Wednesday. So could be the disease or loss of pignmentation.

I am ringing Direct Line on Monday to see if they will pay for meds as this is a different condition. But they may well say the steroids are the cause so no they won't pay. But no harm in trying.

So thats it again folks no real diagnosis so stumbling around in the dark somewhat but doing the best we can for him and hoping we are doing the right thing for him. Nadia says if he was hers she would be doing things exactly the way we are choosing to do it.

She said we have managed to get him home and walking to a fashion he didn't end up spending his last days in the hospital. He has been in comfortable surrounding with things and people he knows and loves and as Gorden said just now if we went down the exploratory route we do not know if he would survive it again and then he would end up spending his last days where we were praying he wouldn't at the beginning of this journey.

Nadia has said to continue with his short strolls not doing it is going to change nothing for him it will help his muscles a little and give him some releif away from being in the house and garden all day. We are taking him for a stroll later so we will see what happens with the nose.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh Lynn am sorry don't quite know what to say but you really are all doing the best you can for him. The sun has come out here so am trying to send some for Ollie for his stroll along with the biggest cuddles(((xxx))), big hugs and love to all of you from me n Scoop((x))
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
So sorry Lynn to hear this latest news, there is nothing I can say to make it any better, other than I know what you are going through , and sympathize immensely with your situation.

Hope the time you have left is longer than you think, you can only take it day by day, and as long as he is doing OK, thats all that matters.

Give him a hug from me and mine.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Oh Lynn what can I say, I was thinking about Ollie and you only half an hour ago, had Radio2 on in the background and I suddenly thought I should PM you in a few days to see how he was, since reading your stories about Ollie I have learned a lot about the breed and I can well understand how you've come to love him so much.

It's so difficult to decide on the way forward but TBH if Nadia would do this had it been her dog, well she has the expertise that we don't and I do think it's worth going with the verdict on someone like that.

Whatever time he has left in this world will I'm sure be so good for him, he'll want for nothing from you and although they can't speak I'm sure you'll see that in his every gesture and look.

Thanks for keeping us updated and big hugs to Ollie from me
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Oh Lynn am sorry don't quite know what to say but you really are all doing the best you can for him. The sun has come out here so am trying to send some for Ollie for his stroll along with the biggest cuddles(((xxx))), big hugs and love to all of you from me n Scoop((x))
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So sorry Lynn to hear this latest news, there is nothing I can say to make it any better, other than I know what you are going through , and sympathize immensely with your situation.

Hope the time you have left is longer than you think, you can only take it day by day, and as long as he is doing OK, thats all that matters.

Give him a hug from me and mine.
Thank you both yes it is all we can do go from day to day. The thing is it is not going to get better it may stabilise it may not and if it does for how long ?

JB sending (((hugs))) you must be feeling much like I do at the moment.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Lynn I agree with Nadia you have done everything you possibly can for Ollie and are continuing to do so. You have been very realistic about not being able to cure him and have set about giving the best possible care and quality of life to him thats possible.
Noone ever will be able to say that you didn't do everything possible for Ollie.
Nobody knows how long he has but lets hope its quite a while yet, but when that time comes just remember you have been the best mum Ollie could ever have dreamed of having, he is such a lucky boy.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Oh Lynn what can I say, I was thinking about Ollie and you only half an hour ago, had Radio2 on in the background and I suddenly thought I should PM you in a few days to see how he was, since reading your stories about Ollie I have learned a lot about the breed and I can well understand how you've come to love him so much.

It's so difficult to decide on the way forward but TBH if Nadia would do this had it been her dog, well she has the expertise that we don't and I do think it's worth going with the verdict on someone like that.

Whatever time he has left in this world will I'm sure be so good for him, he'll want for nothing from you and although they can't speak I'm sure you'll see that in his every gesture and look.

Thanks for keeping us updated and big hugs to Ollie from me
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Lynn I agree with Nadia you have done everything you possibly can for Ollie and are continuing to do so. You have been very realistic about not being able to cure him and have set about giving the best possible care and quality of life to him thats possible.
Noone ever will be able to say that you didn't do everything possible for Ollie.
Nobody knows how long he has but lets hope its quite a while yet, but when that time comes just remember you have been the best mum Ollie could ever have dreamed of having, he is such a lucky boy.
Thank you both. I am now shedding lots of tears.

We are not long back from our stroll. It was dreadful to watch him struggle he could not walk far a few steps before needing to rest. His front leg gait is really bad again. He is happy enough round the house and garden and maybe that wil have to be it now till we know we can carry on no longer with him.

The first time we had the hope of the steroids and of course they worked for almost 5 weeks now it is recurring again and of course later in the week they will be cut down by 20% so we can treat him for this suspected aspergillosis.

A positive out of a negattive though is that we haven't had a nose bleed today but we haven't done what we did Wednesday and what we have been doing since the steroids kicked in and that is come up the front path we turned round and came back in the back so it was a much shorter walk for him.

The sun is shining and he is now out on his mattress on the cold damp floor as he will insist on layng out there so his mattress is on bin liners so it is doesn't get damp.

He is perky enough round the house and garden just cannot manage those walks very well now. I fear our time is limited.
Page 12 of 28 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »