Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2010, 01:57 PM

How many tripe sticks can be fed?

Hi

My 15week old Beagle Monty LOVES Tripe Sticks and I like to leave him them in the mornings before I leave for work! I have been leaving him a couple a week but would wonder if one small stick every day would be too much for him??

Also are there any other tasty treats (that will take a while to eat) that I could leave him with, he does like pretty much anything but with most chewy things he will eat a bit then hide the rest and he doesn't with the tripe sticks! Good job really considering the smell, wouldn't want to find one hidden down my sofa or anything!!

Thanks in advance
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 02:23 PM
I give both of my dogs tripe sticks every day. There is no reason why you couldn't give yours them every day too

Pigs ears are a good chew to leave, and also knuckle bones
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Amy I found tripe sticks can cause a runny tummy with some puppies so would advise caution particularly if feeding more than one a day.

I prefer the dried fish, 'Fish Jerky'. Fish4dogs make it and Burns used to do something similar. Pet shops sell the dried fish.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:06 AM
mine get a tripe stick every day, they love them too and thankfully no runny bottoms
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Are you leaving your pup loose when you go to work?

I'd leave him with a stuffed kong and vary the contents. All sorts of things can go in them along with bits of their normal food.

rune
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes Rune he has the run of the dining room and kitchen, he does have a crate but I don't feel it is fair to leave him in there for 4hours, he wouldn't enjoy that!

He does have a kong which I have filled with various stuff but he isn't really that keen on it to be honest! He doesn't have the patience to get the stuff out!

He has a treat ball which he has some of breakfast in, he likes that!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by AmyH-Cornwall View Post
Yes Rune he has the run of the dining room and kitchen, he does have a crate but I don't feel it is fair to leave him in there for 4hours, he wouldn't enjoy that!

He does have a kong which I have filled with various stuff but he isn't really that keen on it to be honest! He doesn't have the patience to get the stuff out!

He has a treat ball which he has some of breakfast in, he likes that!
That should make for an interesting entry one day (G)!

You need to make the kong a bit easy to start with and then they'll learn.

rune
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I know what you mean, he was confined to the kithen (it is kind of open plan so hard to contain him) by a homemade gate but is a bit of an escape artist and used to get over into the dining room anyway, he also used to cry when left alone in the kitchen!

So far not much damage has been done, ovbiously if he did become a problem I would have to re-think the crate idea but at the moment the set-up is not too bad! (touch wood )

Are yours crated when u go out Rune?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm guessing that tripe sticks are quite high in calories.

I personally don't feed my dogs treats such as rawhide, pigs ears, tripe sticks, every day. More like a couple of times a week.

I think if you HAVE to feed them something that it is fine though. For me those items are occasional treats rather than every day things however.

From a calorie perspective, I would be careful when he is older as Beagles tend to be a breed that pack on the pounds.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by AmyH-Cornwall View Post
I know what you mean, he was confined to the kithen (it is kind of open plan so hard to contain him) by a homemade gate but is a bit of an escape artist and used to get over into the dining room anyway, he also used to cry when left alone in the kitchen!

So far not much damage has been done, ovbiously if he did become a problem I would have to re-think the crate idea but at the moment the set-up is not too bad! (touch wood )

Are yours crated when u go out Rune?
Not the older ones, visiting dogs are sometimes and Etta is always. Also Champa because he has fitted and I don't want him to attack the others when he comes out or them to attack him while he is in it!

I have a puppy pen up all the time as well which is usefull.

You ought to bring him over for a visit sometime.

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >