View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Sadly, no. He is wonderful with people though.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:29 AM
ty is scared of horses tries to run in the opposite direction from them, is good with other dogs (but will stand up for himself if they start on him), cats and even wanted to be my rats buddy aswell even though hilary bit him
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Cats, yes (my own, although my youngest two will still chase if they run). Horses, yes. Cows, yes. Other livestock animals such as sheep I would not trust them with...they would give chase I'm sure, but not hurt them.

Rabbits and guinea pigs, most definitely NOT. Likewise with birds.

They don't seem bothered by rodents. If we come across rats, mice, shrews, etc., on a walk they'll look interested but not a try and eat them or anything. They will bark at my Syrian hamster but I would not trust them with him outside of his cage, not for a second, just to be safe.

So I guess the short answer is yes and no.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Its a Yes and No for both my two.

Kobe will not bother with the hamsters although he did a few years ago but they can play in their ball and he wont bother with them and Honey doesnt bother either anymore. As for the guinea pigs well Kobe will not leave them alone, he goes into their room and squeals at them and when they playing outside he is contantly pesting them. Apart from that he ok with everything else.

Honey will chase just about anything that moves ie squirrels, birds, pigeions. But we been in Wales this weekend at sis in law and she got chickens and honey went and chased them once and got told off and didnt do it again.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 01:49 PM
erm... with jake he likes to chase anything smaller than him, that moves fast he was really good with my rabbit though, and would treat her like a dog
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Mack- Great with dogs,and people and any animal in our home, but still make sure doors and gates shut between our cat and him when we go out..

But outside of the home , er no, has gotten worse as he has matured. Not to be trusted with anything small and furry.

Meggie - Fab with everything though she is having a swimming war with a Swan on the lake, they both think the lake belong to them and no one else, but no malice
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Kiba is fine with my 2 house rabbits. He was introduced to them at 8 weeks old and will let them climb all over him.

He loves horses and thinks they are all his friends his first encounter with a horse was in the New Forest where he was playing tag with one. He chased it, then it chased him and they ran round and round together. But now Kiba thinks all other horses want to be his friend. This has resulted in him being kicked in the head...but he doesn't learn.

I've never put him in with sheep or cows...I don't think he'd hurt them, but if they ran he'd chase them.

He chases bunnies and birds on our walks and picked up a baby rabbit a couple of weeks ago. He didn't hurt it, but the poor thing died of shock.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Tilly is interested in all animals, especially small furries. She lives with 2 rats, 2 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs ans will sit and watch them for hours.(Although I would never trust her alone with them!) She's fine with horses and has been out riding. She met a tortoise the other day and followed it around the house all day, but jumped back every time it came towards her. Think she thought it was a crusty meat pie!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Generally, anything smaller than my dogs is at risk of being killed. They've never really been round other pets and hate cats with a passion. They ignore livestock and arent too fussed about deer. Certainly anything like mice, rabbits, pheasants etc are not safe.

Jessie is only really interested in rabbits and mice but Jed and Flynn are not good with any kind of game. Jed will even chase a flying pheasant but Flynn is pretty good and only really chases if the other dogs are there (it's the whole pack mentality thing).

So no, they arent good with other animals and I always have to be on the ball and choose carefully where I take them.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2010, 05:00 PM
My dogs are good with my cats, they all choose to sleep together of a night time and during the day they all mingle. They are great around livestock etc. they don't chase rabbits, deer etc although they do like to chase the geese by the lake but it's all pretty half hearted because they never even get close to them. I wouldn't trust them with my birds though, so although they pretty much ignore them when they are caged, when the birds come out the dogs go in another room just to be on the safe side.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >