Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Dogs are suppose to be commitments

Just have to state the case of a few people I know who keep getting dogs then get rid of them for whatever reason, I am not talking about situational changes where it is in the best interest of both if they are rehomed, but where they seem to think they can get rid of them when they get bored. Here is one story O/Hs sister has had 12 dogs since I have known her (3yrs!!!! ). She gets puppies and pays a fair price for them but then when they are about one she gets rid of them, I have found a distiinct patrern in when she decides to get rid of them - when people don't walk in and go "oh wow" "how cute", "I'd like to have her". It is beyond belief that anyone can do this. Why get one if you don't intend on keeping it?? Needless to say we don't get on .
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
awful some people

have to tell a nice story though.....

one of our neighbours had a weimiraner (sP)... who he had for a good few months - loved the dog to bits (bought from a breeder etc...).. anyhow - he could no longer keep the dog due to work comitments so gave the dog back - with its crate/toys/food etc... didnt get any money back for it.. thats a good owned for you...

so there are the good and bad ..
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I was told a few days ago that my neice is getting a Springer puppy, 8 weeks old.
Her and her partner work full time and they have two kids, 5 and 8 years
I said to my hubby "how long do you think that will last?" he said "how did I know you were going to say that" He was as flabbergasted as me.

Edited to add, yes I have had my say
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
There was someone around here who in two years of living here went through,

2 GSDs,
3 Japenese Akitas,
1 Bolongnese,
1 Westie,
2 Chihauhaus,
6 Cavalier king Charles,
and a Jack Russell.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2009, 04:01 PM
My sister in law got a min Schnauzer then when she became friends with someone who had a beautiful (rescue)Husky X she was jealous of all the 'oh wow' comments he got and she gave the dog to her parents with a view to getting a big dog instead. I wasn't impressed and told her so and she got her dog back. Now one year on she has lost interest again and the inlaws have her dog again. Too many people see the dog as nothing more than a fashion accessory. Especially these days when all the celebrities are photographed with their pretty dogs.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
We have someone round here mother lives a few doors away every couple of months the daughter turns up with a new puppy, spends all day at her mums house then complains cos the puppy messes in the house, well that was the excuse for getting rid of the last one, always gives the away to friends, when they get past the puppy stage. Makes me sick every time i see another pup turn up.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Where do all these dogs end up after they get rid of them?? My O/H's sister dropped two off at the pound, they were chipped so she got a call that a) the pound is not where you drop dogs off when you just don't want them anymore, b) she was getting the bill for housing them & desexing . Then she told everyone as she couldn't believe they got angry at her .
I did see them rescued by a dog rescue group and up for sale, they changed there names (yes she got cranky that they did that too ). It finally came out off me like word vomit, that why the hell did she care she gave them up to the pound where they could have been pts, luckily they got rescued, she gave up all her rights when she handed them over , so then she wouldn't talk to me
But as for the rest of the 12 I have no idea poor doggies
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 08:00 AM
where ever she is getting them is also at fault too not asking the right questions
ATD x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 08:09 AM
i heard yesterday of a woman who has never owned a dog before. she was told of a 4 and a half year old jrt who was untrained (i'm guessing basic commands)and hated being left. the story was that the family were moving and couldn't take him to their new house. yeah right.

apparently she rang her friend on day 2 in tears saying the dog had howled all night and was chewing everything in sight.

after 6 days she contacted the local rescue and got them to take him away. the poor creature may at least stand a chance now as they are pretty hot on where they rehome their animals.

she is now saying a puppy would be best for her as it wouldn't have any of those problems. because of course puppies don't cry all night or chew or pee. jeez
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2009, 08:11 AM
My OH sister does this too, gets a puppy then just gets rid of it. She seems to get one a year! She lives in a 2nd floor flat and the puppies just get to live on the balcony. The last one she had was lovely and when I was there I was playing with him. Before we even got home she had text my OH and asked if we wanted the pup as I obviously liked him and she would be prepared to accept £70 for him Already having a multitude of pets I know my limits but thought I would ask about injections, worming etc and of course he had had none. Next call was to my OH asking him to drop the dog up at the pound for her I just don't get the thinking!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >