Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Dogs range in size from 2 kilos to over 50 kilos & as the larger the breed the more stress is put on the body itself & thus the bigger breeds have a shorter life span. Wolves have evolved to be quite uniform in size & therefore there is not the divergence of lifespans in wolves.

You are not comparing like to like, in wolves only the fittest survive & the wolves susceptible to cancers & other conditions rarely got the opportunity to breed, leaving the physically more robust to supply the genes for the wolves in captivity.

Captive wolves do not have to travel far for food, wild wolf packs can travel 100s of kilometres to hunt. Thus to have a genetically successful breed having an easy life.

TBH honest comparing wild animals & domesticated animals isn't logical, perhaps comparing feral & domestic dogs lifespans would be more meaning full.
Thanks, I understand now! Sorry to be dense.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
It depends what breed it is - some breeds do have a shortage of stud dogs.

Do we really know enough about cancers to determine whether certain individuals can be predisposed to them? You would have to be 110% sure. I think it would always be a niggling doubt if I knew one of my dog's sires had cancer.
I would have to be 1000% sure it wasn't a genetic thing before breeding him.
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2010, 01:36 AM
reading from my breed book, but information i write below is based on all pedigree dogs:
TEN MOST COMMON FATAL DISEASES IN PEDIGREE DOGS
47% cancer
12% heart disease
7% kidney disease
4% epilepsy
4% Liver disease
3% bloat
3% diabetes
2% stroke
2% cushings disease
2% Immune diseases
14% other causes

dont know if it adds up cos if im honest its late and i CBA to check lol, but i think this just about sums it all up
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My Glen dog was PTS with Lymphoma just months after he sired a litter, however he had no symptoms until the last 5 weeks of his life, well after he mated the puppies mother.

I had a very simular situation with Alfie (youngest pup he sired was almost 6 mths when Alfie was diagnosed) and it's something that haunts me a year on from his death and will do until his pups are of age and grow old (fingers crossed).
If only i had known he was going to get cancer i can honestly say i would never have bred from him no matter how wonderful he was ,
Alfie only sired Two pups thankfully but its something i continue to worry about.I notified Alfie's breeder, Alfie's pups owners and also Alfie's siblings owners asap (Luckily most of us with siblings keep in touch) as some were in show homes and would possibly be bred from and i thought it best they should know before considering it. I researched as much as i could about Lymphoma before and after his death and i wouldn't even consider breeding from a stud with cancer.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4