View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Happened a few Years ago, he died a few months later.

The Thread was "Does "bloat" run in lines" , got me thinking abit about this case, no body really knows how genetic cancer is in dogs. Hes sired alot of pups Before he got cancer & the one litter after.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Where was the cancer?

Throat.-in this case
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Personally no, I think its awful, no matter how much you want a pup out of that dog, no matter how good the lineage is...
But it has happened in my breed and because of it, I have a huge worry ahead of me...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
If a dog was diagnosed with Cancer, Would anyone think it acceptable to use him before he dies?

i think NOT!
Absolutely not, if it is diagnosed !

if you dont know then that's a bit different.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 11:00 AM
no
health and temprament should be the major considerations to breeding

the fact the average dog does not have a life exectancy greater than a wolf suggests our breeding should be looked at, and how manny litters a stud can sire should be looked at
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2010, 12:34 PM
We have no shortage of healthy, well behaved dogs. I see no reason to ever breed anything less.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
If a dog was diagnosed with Cancer, Would anyone think it acceptable to use him before he dies?

i think NOT!
If the cancer was not genetic, but purely random or environmental, and if the dog was otherwise healthy, eating well, full of beans, enjoying his walks etc. etc., I see no reason why not. I knew of a Schnautzer who was diagnosed with cancer, and was given 6 months to live. She had around a further 5 years of healthy, pain free life, eventually dying naturally of old age. Cancer, especially in dogs, is not necessarily a death sentence, and frequently the dog suffers no side effects. I certainly would not put a bitch in whelp with cancer, but with the aforesaid precautions, I cannot see why a stud dog should not mate with cancer.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
If the cancer was not genetic, but purely random or environmental, and if the dog was otherwise healthy, eating well, full of beans, enjoying his walks etc. etc., I see no reason why not. I knew of a Schnautzer who was diagnosed with cancer, and was given 6 months to live. She had around a further 5 years of healthy, pain free life, eventually dying naturally of old age. Cancer, especially in dogs, is not necessarily a death sentence, and frequently the dog suffers no side effects. I certainly would not put a bitch in whelp with cancer, but with the aforesaid precautions, I cannot see why a stud dog should not mate with cancer.
But how would you know it is not genetic - or even that there is a genetic predisposition?

Sorry - it would be a major no-no in my book.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
We have no shortage of healthy, well behaved dogs. I see no reason to ever breed anything less.
It depends what breed it is - some breeds do have a shortage of stud dogs.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Do we really know enough about cancers to determine whether certain individuals can be predisposed to them? You would have to be 110% sure. I think it would always be a niggling doubt if I knew one of my dog's sires had cancer.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But how would you know it is not genetic - or even that there is a genetic predisposition?

Sorry - it would be a major no-no in my book.
done at the same time!!! Exactly what I was thinking!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >