View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2006, 10:41 AM

How does testosterone effect female dogs?

This is a question my daughter has for her science homework. I have to admit I don't know a great deal about this as I have always owned male dogs. Can any of you people in the know give us some ideas please?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-03-2006, 11:00 AM
I may be wrong in thinking that testosterone or an artificial version was used by less reputable sports teams to enchance their female athlete's performance. Basically, by making them more like men!
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah I read something about that Rich C. In the question she's been given it also states how does testosterone effect female dogs both physically and behaviourwise. I don't know how she'll answer it cos i'm stumped! :smt017 :smt102
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Hello Dee Testosterone is the main male sex hormone . There are artificial forms of testosterone that can be used to build muscles, I don't know if they have ever been used in Greyhound bitches, I am aware prolonged doses of these substances can suppress oestrus in bitches .

I guess the question may mainly relate to how testosterone effects the male dog and in turn influences a bitches behaviour ? It is a complex subject that may be best researched on the internet by doing a Google search for things like 'testosterone function in bitches' .
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2006, 04:42 PM
I know that if there's say one bitch in a litter surrounded by males, then that bitch would have absorbed some of the testosterone from the males while in the womb and they are bolder and more masculine, and can be more assertive (didn't want to say aggressive cos that isn't what I mean). I assume they would be slightly bigger and stronger too.

Likewise if there is a single male in a litter of bitches he will not be quite so bold and masculine, although the oestrogen isn't produced until the bitches come into season the testosterone levels in the womb would be less.

Edit: If you find the answer on the net can you post it - as I'm sure we'd all like to know the official version.
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Thankyou guys you have giving us a starting point I will indeed let you know what we come up with. Your help has been great as we really didn't know where to start with this one thanks