Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 10:08 PM

New house coming along

Being unemployed at the moment, I have plenty of time to sort the house out after the builder disappeared with work half done and much of it bodged. Currently, I am decorating inside which is taking a lot of preparation as the walls are just taped plasterboard, with filler on some of it and some of the filler appears to have been applied with a wobbly finger. There are bumps, screw heads sticking out, cracks and holes so loads of polyfilla and where the skirting boards are miles out from the walls, the old trick of ripped up scraps of newspaper down the gaps then filled over.
Tried power sanding the plaster but the whole house filled with fine powder so I am now hand sanding.
Today was an unusual fine, sunny day with a light breeze so I did some painting outside. In Ireland, cottages have a coloured band of paint round the bottom 8" or so all round the house and the concrete cills and outside the windows are painted the same colour. The house is cream and the colour used is dark green, very traditional for around here. I was entertained all afternoon by squealing brakes as the neighbours came up and down the lane and slowed down to have a better look as they went by. No doubt the verdict will be reached in the pub tonight on my taste. They haven't got over the notion of a girlie brandishing a power tool or a paintbrush here, now that is NOT traditional!!!
Tomorrow - lots of filling where I have found new imperfections, sanding later and more painting. May start tiling one of the bathrooms too....
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 06:15 AM
It's keeping you occupied Gill, there's no doubt about that. Good for you for pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and just getting on with it. I admire your tenacity. You go girl!
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 07:01 AM
WOW.....I'm impressed!!!!! you certainly are keeping busy! good on you for being able to complete all this taskes. my DIY stops at painting
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Good for you Gill, and at least your house will feel that more special when you've done a lot of the work yourself. Well done for getting stuck into it in spite of all the difficulties you've faced of late. When the going gets tough - the tough get going (and you certainly have). XX
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Well Done Gill, sounds like your facing all the adversity smack in the face.
Keep up the good work
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Well done, it'll be finished in no time!
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2007, 07:51 PM
One of my favorite tv shows is "This Old House" and if I could do it all over again, I would do it all over again doing it my way. No plumbing or electrical though. It really means so much more when you do it yourself even though it takes longer. Good Job.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Well done to you, and as Vicki says "Go girl go"
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-05-2007, 11:56 PM
All the best in your new house. You are a very brave person and I admire you