Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 04:28 PM

Chicken bones

Can I feed my dogs chicken bones?

Ive been told not to give them chicken bones as they splinter and can get stuck or cause an injury. Is this true?

I was told to just feed rib bones, lamb bones etc bt NOT chicken.....
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Cooked chicken bones will splinter. I feed raw chicken wings, legs, carcasses etc and my 2 crunch them up. Lots of other people on here feed raw as well, so I think if there were any problems it would have been highlighted by now, I found it strange at first I must admit, and other people now find it strange when I say I feed raw chicken wings etc.
But it is just because cooked bones, and that goes for all species I am told, will splinter.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 04:53 PM
So raw do not splinter, cooked do?
I didnt know that....
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 05:02 PM
My dogs are on a dry diet, but the do get the occasional raw chicken wing and they love them!!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2006, 05:10 PM
My two love chicken bones... as been said already they are fine so long as they are NOT cooked
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-12-2006, 06:21 PM
well I always believed the thing about not feeding chicken bones until I investigate raw feeding. But when you think about it it is logical, their bones are weight bearing so hardly likely to splinter are they? Cooking dries them out, so therefore they would splinter.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Definitly not cooked, ever.

Even when raw you can still get little sharp bits after the dog has chewed them all up, which will be from the wings and legs. I have fed the entire chicken with no prob but prefer to give them the carcuss as I have never witnessed any sharp peices at all from that. If you can get them, necks don't have any sharp bits at all and are good for small dogs with turkey necks being better for big dogs or dogs that arn't such thorough chewers. Wings are better than legs regarding any sharp peices but like I said, in my opinion you have less chance of sharp peices of bone from the carcuss.

Rib bones from lamb are fine...If you just use common sense and take a good look at any bone you are giving your dog you can usually make up your own mind on what should be safe, for example I wouldn't feed lamb leg bones. If I'm never sure how they might break down when my dogs crush them I will take one of the bones and whack it with a hammer (if it is big) or just break it in my hand (if smaller) and see what kind of edge it leaves to make my own conclusion. For instance I got my dog whole rabbit and did not feel comfortable feeding those due to the very needle like rib bones and the leg bones were very hard and brittle.

Meaty bones I feed regulary are breast of lamb, chicken carcuss and ox tail and I would give turkey necks without any worry at all (though you must always ensure your dog chews well as with most food).

Also any bone that is a potential tooth breaker should be avoided...go for softer bones.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=myschievous;856445]
I have fed the entire chicken with no prob

I just had visions of a whole raw chicken put on a plate and left for the dogs to muller