Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2005, 03:52 PM

Nervous dog........

As I was going into town today, and while I was waiting by the traffic lights, across the road I saw this chap with a large dog(mongral) it was obviously a nervous reck and terrified of people, the dog also had a halti on ( nothing wrong with that)......but the chap was talking to a woman and she was trying to get close to his dog and stroke it, the dog was terrified kept jumping and trying to back away from this woman, stupid people. instead of backing of this dog , the owner grabbed its head by the halti and forced it to allow this woman to bend over the dog with her hand outstrected to stroke its head, she just kept moving in on this poor dog, with the owner pulling the dog into her , which at this point the dog was thrashing around trying to get away from her, but niether of them would give up till she had her hand on its head, by this time the poor sod was on the floor ...................

NOT!!!! the way to get a dog used to strange people ............ I so wantd to get out of my car and tell them both.... but the lights changed and I had to move off........Looked back in my mirror and the were still forcing this boy to except her.......... it did not look like a young dog either..........
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Poor dog, its amazing that people think thats really helping the dog
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Poor dog... we have this kind of problem with Dud at the mo - i think he's nervous of people due to being beaten or somehting... I don't know - but whenever someone tries to stroke him he pulls away and some cases runs off. We just tell them to be still and get down to his level and ball a fist up - to hold it out for him to sniff and he'll come in his own time. He always does, because he trusts me implicitly now and then he ends up fine after a few moments of the new person stroking him. Am I going about this the right way?

Poor dog though.. what an awful thing to be forced to go through.

xx
Carole
Supervisor

18-10-2005, 05:38 PM
definately not the right way to go about it poor dog will end up snapping or biting out of fear one day though no fault of its own
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 05:48 PM
was that to me or to the original post? I was worried for a minute!

xx
Carole
Supervisor

18-10-2005, 05:51 PM
sorry Zoundz to the owner of the dog

Zoundz you are doing things right by letting your dog do things at its own pace. SB as an article about nervous dogs in the article section. It is worth reading

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/des...dogs_8050.html