Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
As far as I was aware the word "burn" has the same meaning in the UK and the US.

Thank you for pointing out the context in which you use the word.............

So you don`t burn a disobedient dog you just give it an extended shock (keep your finger on the trigger)

Sadly they both amount to cruelty (which means the same on both sides of the pond.

Sadly this thread is going the way they always do, round and round in circles..........

The person inflicting pain in the name of training is never going to see the cruelty of it,.

We can discuss till the cows come home and e.collar supporters will continue to excuse their methods, and accuse the rest of the world(who oppose them) as "not getting it "!!

...:
When speaking to US people they do all use the word "burn" in the same way so this is the first time I've heard it referring to an extended shock.

Why would that word be used?

Very sad that people choose to use extended shocks (or indeed, any shocks) on dogs anyway.

And yes, especially for sport

There isn't even the excuse that is usually given, which is to save a dog's life.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I started with a piece of food in my hand and closing it and saying leave, then progressed to her leaving the food till I said she could have it, then food on the ground with her sitting next to it and so on. I can take anything off her anyway, so the next step was saying Leave when she had a bone and straight away she would stand up and let me take it. Then we did an exercise at training where she would have to sit and Leave any dogs that dared to look at her, now if a dog starts doing X shapes and barking at her, instead of throwing her toys out of the pram and going back at it, I say leave, and although she looks she carries on walking. The food one was easily learnt, it is leaving other dogs that bark at her that has taken a very long time, her instinct is to go and discipline them for daring to bark at her, and I'm not saying she is perfect or 100% but I can now work her offlead at training for instance, something which would have worried me just in case she had issues with another dog. I have always used a lot of praise and cuddles as well as food rewards, and have learnt to turn my back on her or give her a glare or long stare if she gives any indication of unwanted behaviour.
She can do out of sight stays as well now, send aways and stop on recall, all absolutely perfect.
Thanks for explaining, I was just being nosey. I train it very similarly but use a lot of food/toy rewards.

For me, it turned into always providing a predictive reward, as I ended up using it for chase recall I tend to now use Off for removing her nose from things she shouldn't be nosing in too much

Thanks again and best of luck.

Wys
x
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post

Lizzy, do you participate in field trials with your dogs, and do you actually hunt them? Have you never encountered a situation in the course of these pursuits where the dog made the "mistake" of ignoring a fully trained command, a mistake that put the dog's very life in jeopardy? A simple yes or no will suffice for your answers to both questions.
Yes my dogs work on driven shoots during the pheasant season, and yes my own dog has gone over a wall into a road to retrieve a pheasnat that shouldn't have been shot, and no i still wouldn't put a collar on her, because that would negate everything i have taught her about being bold and doing her job, which is to flush and retrieve birds
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
I find this thread very upsetting, i have high drive working dogs that work and have never and would never put a collar on them. I've seen dogs wearing collars out on shoots, i don't see happy, waggy eager to please dogs, i see shut down, terrified nervous animals who are afraid of their owners and are doing their job out of fear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is this what we want to see 4 legged robots, personally i'd rather have the odd mistake and my imperfect happy dogs.

Who are we to suugest that its right to inflict pain on another living being to get them to do what WE want
Thanks for posting Lizzie, it's always good to read a post from someone who has experience of being on shoots and working with high drive dogs in the same sort of situation as the original poster. I completely agree with you of course.

Even dogs who look fairly ok, all you have to do is watch them for a while and you can very often see the shock collar trained dogs or those trained harshly.

Wys
x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 04:52 PM
If these collars don't hurt the dogs and aren't 'cruel' why is it the owners who use them don't want to dog to know it is the owner inflicting it on them? Reading some of this drivel you'd be forgiven for thinking the dogs enjoyed the experience.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
RIGHT ON, INKLIVEEVA, RIGHT ON, thank you! that is certainly part of the idea, altho not the most important part, which is what they do associate it with; see some of my previous posts.
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
That sounds like the owners do not know how to use the collar properly, the trick is supposed to be that they don't assosiate the nick to the person or the collar they wear...
Not always correct, surprisingly.
I've studied some US vids re. shock collar training and some trainers do in fact WANT the dog to know the shock comes from them.

They did give a reason - I think it was because they "needed to know they could not get away with doing it wrong" or something similar to that

Pretty sickening to watch and listen to, in fact.

Wys
x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-01-2013, 04:57 PM
I use 'off' when I want them not to jump up, either at me, on the couch or whatever. Down is used for them to lie down.
Cariad isn't particularly toy orientated, Lona will go after a ball if it is in the water and will swim and fetch it for me, but throw it for her on the field and she looks at me like I have run mad. Both girls are food orientated in the main. Mabs is quite ball orientated, but strangely not that food orientated.
Don't know what will be floating Keshi's boat as yet!!!
She can already sit and give a paw when asked, in fact most times she'll come over and sit in front of you and give you both of them She does it for cuddles and praise at the moment.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-01-2013, 05:17 PM
she still hasnt answered my 2 questions yet, to which i say it proves her wrong totally. and it isnt some tit bit someone claiming to be a trainer either, many of the worlds leading experts say the same, but hang on someone we dont know and uses bad training methods must be right yeah.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
The title of this thread, started by you, is " Let's discuss training methods"

But you do not want to discuss training methods, do you. You want us to all agree with your barbarous conviction that e-collars are wonderful and the only way to train a dog.

Well I hate to disillusion you, but you ain't gonna win sunshine, because the majority of Dogsey members consider e-collars to be evil, wicked and cruel punishment.

Not training at all.
Malka, no offense, but posts like this are the reason this discussion continues to go in circles. As I said previously, I get it, you think the collar is the tool of the devil and those who use it are the spawn of Satan.

If you actually and comprehend my posts, especially the recent #164, you will find that I agree with you in situations where the collar is used improperly. Believe me when I say that I could recount the results of ignorant collar use that resulted in behaviors far worse than anything you folks have described. In all cases, these were incidents that I personally observed, and had personal knowledge of the "method" that caused the results, and was thus able to form a reasoned opinion, rather than justreacting emotionally. These are not incidents I merely heard recounted by (sometimes biased) people who tend to engage in hyperbole (ever played the game of "gossip"?), they are not incidents I make up or pull out of thin air.

Again, and for the last time, I am not out to change anyone's mind or promote collar use. I am doing my best to promote the exchange of information, including my personal opinions, formed from my personal experiences over the past 37 years, and to learn about your methods. Folks who repeatedly post nothing but "anti" rants which are based in purely emotional reactions to things they have no personal knowledge of are causing the very thing they then complain about, i.e., a discussion circles endlessly. Please take a page from the book of Brierley and others like her, who ask intelligent questions and present their reasoned opinions based on their experiences, because posts like yours do nothing to promote civil give and take.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-01-2013, 05:36 PM
To my utter shame, e-collars are not banned in my Country, but I, and many others who feel as I do, are doing our utmost to get them banned.

There is no point in trying to have an "intelligent" discussion with you, as your mind is 100% set on the fact that e-collars = good, and trainers who use e-collars = good, and that e-collars are not punishment etc ad infinitum.

I, and those like me, consider them to be nothing but sheer and utter cruelty, and nothing you have said or will ever say will change my mind about that.
Page 18 of 36 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »