Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 09:30 AM

Itchy Stafford?

my dogs have never had a problem with itching until now, maybe it was the introduction of the new pup, i dont know

when you have a pied or white stafford, and they are pups i know you can see the pink skin on their head etc... but it seems to be getting redder?? and he is itching, and now the brindle bitch has started?

i dont think its fleas, im just wondering if staffords have a common problem that can be easily sorted?
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Well I have a white and a brindle Staff and the only time I have ever had a problem with itching was with the white one when she had her skin problems.

Are you 100% certain it is not fleas? As if both dogs are itching then this would be the most likely culprit that said it is not really the time of year for the,. Where abouts are they itching? Is it all over or localised? It could be mites. Demodex is common in staffords.

I think your best bet if you are not sure would be to get in touch with the vet.

Laura
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 09:57 AM
i have noticed they both have a dry nose too.

other than that they seem ok, they are playing toy fighting and chasing each other as normal.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 10:05 AM
If it is fleas they will act normally just they will be itching a lot. Are you certain its not?

Laura
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 10:06 AM
i will look to see if i can see them..... if at all possible
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Its just a thought because both dogs are itching, somebody else may have other ideas. You can buy flea combs & paper from pet shops. Usually if you give them a good scratch with some white paper under the area you are scratching you can see the droppings, if you put water on them they go red (i think?). If it is fleas the most important thing is getting the house de-flead too, my friends dog had fleas and she was only treating the dog not the house so they kept coming back as they live everywhere, curtains, carpets, cracks and crevices etc.

Laura
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Flea's can live up to 2 years in your carpet, without eating!
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 10:22 AM
the brindle bitch has been treated with frontline flea treatment before christmas (the one were you put a drop on the back of the neck)
we got that off the vet... charged £22 for it!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi RD If all the skin is red could also be allergy related , have you changed the food recently and what do you feed? If it continues might perhaps you shoud see the vet for a skin scrape/test to see if there is any other problem hiding there
Ps think this should really be in health section You will find some releated posts there also
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 01:08 PM
wrong section doh!

they do itch all over but i think its concentrating on there legs??

ive not changed the food either, they have always been on eukanuba
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »